Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon Red/Blue

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 27, 1996

Pokémon Red version and Blue version were the initial two releases in the Pokémon franchise. Red, a Pokémon trainer from Pallet Town who Ash Ketchum, the anime protagonist, was later based on, starts a journey to become a Pokémon Master and ultimately catch 'em all.

Twitch Plays Pokemon - The Newest Crazy/Insane Idea

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Well hot damn. They actually beat it. I'll admit I wasn't sure they'd be able to. Hell, I never thought they'd get past the Safari Zone, but it's been done. I guess given enough time anything can be done. I really hope this moves onto the next set of games. I'm assuming it does, given the whole 16 hours thing I'm seeing. I really do wish I was there when it ended, but oh well.

Gen 2?
    Gen 2?

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#702  Edited By Mcfart

@themanwithnoplan said:

Well hot damn. They actually beat it. I'll admit I wasn't sure they'd be able to. Hell, I never thought they'd get past the Safari Zone, but it's been done. I guess given enough time anything can be done. I really hope this moves onto the next set of games. I'm assuming it does, given the whole 16 hours thing I'm seeing. I really do wish I was there, but oh well.

Gen 2?
    Gen 2?

Yeah the're doing Pokemon Gold/Silver next, but viewship will probably drastically go down because:

A - TPP was popular because it was a new idea

B - All Pokemon games after Gen 1 are easy as fuck

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcfart: Yeah, I don't expect it to reach the popularity that the first stream did. That's just the way it is nowadays. Plus there's already streams just like this one playing through the gen 2 games.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@andrewb said:

Too bad you don't get the Helix Fossil in Gold/Silver/Crystal.

For some reason you can get it in HeartGold. I wish they would play the remakes of Gen2 next and not the original.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#706  Edited By Capum15

@mcfart: Yeah, I don't expect it to reach the popularity that the first stream did. That's just the way it is nowadays. Plus there's already streams just like this one playing through the gen 2 games.

And yet there are still 20k viewers when the only thing on there is The End and a timer. Even if it doesn't crack 100k again, that's still a crazy amount of people playing.

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capum15 said:
    @themanwithnoplan said:

And yet there are still 20k viewers when the only thing on there is The End and a timer. Even if it doesn't crack 100k again, that's still a crazy amount of people playing.

Really? Wow, I guess we'll see soon.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capum15 said:
    @themanwithnoplan said:

The creator has been randomly putting up different Pokemon games (like Pokemon Pinball!) for short periods of time; so, I imagine many people are sticking around on it just in case another thing pops up while they're waiting for the full next game.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanwithnoplan said:
    @capum15 said:
    @themanwithnoplan said:

The creator has been randomly putting up different Pokemon games (like Pokemon Pinball!) for short periods of time; so, I imagine many people are sticking around on it just in case another thing pops up while they're waiting for the full next game.

Oh, okay that explains it.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope they go Gen 2. Just imagine all the grudge matches!

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@mcfart: idk, there are still 20k people in the stream and it has just been a countdown timer for the last four hours.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#712  Edited By Mcfart

@capum15 said:
    @themanwithnoplan said:

probably bots tbh

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcfart said:

@capum15 said:
    @themanwithnoplan said:

probably bots tbh

Some bots for sure, but I'd say no more than 1-2k of them. A -lot- of people still have it open. I mean... I even had it open for a while today, and a lot of people have been chatting. Once the new stream starts, I would guess we'll see it jump to over 50k.

(also, Twitch had said they would be trying to clamp down on bots and spammers during the break; so, the bot count may even be lower)

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found this linked in the Twitch chat if anyone wants to see the final half hour of them beating the game.

Loading Video...

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so happy Red is done, but I'm curious to see where things will go next.

No Caption Provided
    golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#716  Edited By golguin

It begins again with Pokemon Crystal. 15 minutes in and the stream has +75,000 viewers. Name of the player is "AJ Down" and the starter has not been selected. I never played Crystal (played Gold and Silver) so I don't know the changes.

EDIT: DAMN. They got Totadile.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#717  Edited By TruthTellah

@golguin: Yeah, Totadile. Interesting pick. I do like some people calling him King Leer. Not bad.

What I'm most interested in at the moment is the push between those wanting to extend the prior game's religion and mythology into this one and others wanting something new to arise naturally from this run. I have a feeling it will end up being some mixture of both.

Also, the creator is insane. haha. A countdown timer ever 30 minutes to Democracy or Anarchy? I don't know how this is really going to work, but I do appreciate that he's perhaps trying new things with it. Still, current tested system seems like madness.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

haha. Back into the first room. It's so evil because you can click on everything and mess up getting out. Not to mention the stairs reversing direction when you go down; so you keep going down and then up if there are too many ups. Fantastic.

Fortunately, people are getting better, and we got out in a few minutes!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And so dies the theory that Twitchplays would stop being 1/3rd-1/4th of Twitch's viewership.

TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seeing the viewership spike back up warms my heart a little.

Edit: The second coming of Bird Jesus is upon us.

Edit 2: Apparently, the egg that hatches into Togepi has become the new holy messiah. "Lord Omlette". Little less catchy if you ask me.

sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

its starting to taper off a bit

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should be playing liquid crystal. All this madness made me want to jump back into Pokemon. I found liquid crystal and that game is hard as balls. Goddamn

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#725  Edited By Capum15

I love that this is still going strong.

Checking back to see the team is always fun. That level 25 Totodile.

And Omlette just Metronome Ice Beamed a pidgey.

Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

I missed the ending, but what a beautiful, beautiful thing.

I will likely check on the new stream periodically, but not as frequently as I did with Red.

Man, the music in Gen 2 is amazing.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#727  Edited By Mcfart

I know this is mostly dead (~10k viewers now) but they just got to Red in Pokemon Crystal, and he has THEIR OLD TEAM!!

BTW, Red had a chance to "win". They have 7 days to beat him, and Democracy's disabled until they find some kind of "code". I'm sure they'll do it in 7 days, but awesome that there's a countdown.

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.