Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hollow Knight

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 24, 2017

A 2D exploration action adventure game, developed by Team Cherry.

Anyone Else Play the Demo?

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By nnickers

The Humble Monthly Bundle that just went out included a demo for this. I'd never heard of it before but the trailer looked really nice so I played through it last night.

For anyone who hasn't heard of the game, which I'm guessing is most of you, the short demo makes it seem like a fairly straightforward Metroidvania game, leaning more toward the -Vania. The few newer systems shown here include corpse runs and one where killing enemies fills up a meter that can then be spent to channel what amounts to a healing spell. I actually really liked this as it added tension during the one boss fight when I was trying to find time to stand in place and heal.

What really stood out to me though was the gorgeous art and the really, really tight controls. It has this gorgeous pencil-shaded look to it and takes place in a the ruins of an ancient, collapsed bug civilization that I'm willing to call pretty unique. And the controls are, again, great: jumping feels good, sword swings are quick, the sense of impact when you hit enemies and get hit yourself is really tactile and satisfying.

I loved the demo, and this has definitely put the game on my map. The game has an "Early 2017" release date listed in Steam and it's one that I'm now eagerly awaiting. For anyone who got this last Humble Monthly Bundle but has been too focused on the other stuff in there: check this out. To the rest of you: find a way to play this.

JamesFargoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game is really good. Hopefully Giant Bomb takes a look at it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This game is fantastic. Definitely deserves some more recognition. Like many Kickstarter projects it seemed like this one just popped out of nowhere on Steam.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks pretty at least. Too bad they didn't give the demo out on Steam.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It looks extremely nice. Art and gameplay both looks like something I would enjoy. Only real reason not to get it is that this genre of game is slowly becoming what Jrpgs are for me, where I just keep buying all of them and rarely start playing most of them. :/ Still haven't really played any Axiom Verge or Salt and Sanctuary.

Little_Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb: I'm right there with you! I've didnt get far in Ori and I've yet to even start Axiom Verge! ..but the itch to buy this is too strong!

iowcatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iowcatalyst

I bought this earlier. Only played a hour or so but really liking it so far and it feels like once you start unlocking some dashes and stuff it's going to become great.
    [I also bought axiom verge and have only played a tiny bit of it. This grabbed me a lot more, kind of annoyed I have to go to sleep instead of playing it]

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MerxWorx01

Put 5 hours into this game. Pretty amazing so far. Love the art style, combat and the platforming is pretty tight. In terms of difficulty it is a few notches easier than Ori. But it has several boss battles(plus mini bosses) through the course of the game that require a bit of finesse and pattern recognition. So far I haven't seen anything as difficult as the Tree clearing in Ori but I feel like I am just past the initial portion of the game.

Now if you don't mind me I have a Stagcoach to catch.

Wheeeeeeeee!
    Wheeeeeeeee!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.