Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Full Motion Video

Concept »

FMVs are pre-rendered videos used in place of real-time graphics. Using FMV was an attempt to make videogames look "more like movies", sometimes with CGI animation and others with live-action actors speaking directly to players. The downside is that FMV requires a lot of disk space, and live-action FMV in particular can look terrible by comparison.

Give me the lead in an FMV game!

LordCrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Edited By LordCrom

I loved the idea of FMV games when I was young.  I remember thinking that was the future of video games.  After the Sega Master System, I took a break from games for a while.  Still having a subscription to Sega Visions, I opened up an issue in I believe the summer of 93 and saw a series of FMV games released for the Sega CD.  I immediately told my parents I wanted a Sega Genesis & Sega CD for my b-day in July.  Wasn't positive I would get it since the price for the two was around $300.  But I did get it and set out on my search to get as many FMV titles as I could get my hands on.  I was looking for an uncut version of Night Trap, but I came to the party too late and they were no where to be found.  I got the cut version along with a copy of Double Switch and Ground Zero: Texas.  No matter what you think, I loved them.  Still have fond memories of that time in my life and all the gaming I did.  I must have around 20 of those Sega CD FMV games.  I do believe I will go over right now and make a list of all the FMV games that I own. :)

LordCrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By LordCrom

I loved the idea of FMV games when I was young.  I remember thinking that was the future of video games.  After the Sega Master System, I took a break from games for a while.  Still having a subscription to Sega Visions, I opened up an issue in I believe the summer of 93 and saw a series of FMV games released for the Sega CD.  I immediately told my parents I wanted a Sega Genesis & Sega CD for my b-day in July.  Wasn't positive I would get it since the price for the two was around $300.  But I did get it and set out on my search to get as many FMV titles as I could get my hands on.  I was looking for an uncut version of Night Trap, but I came to the party too late and they were no where to be found.  I got the cut version along with a copy of Double Switch and Ground Zero: Texas.  No matter what you think, I loved them.  Still have fond memories of that time in my life and all the gaming I did.  I must have around 20 of those Sega CD FMV games.  I do believe I will go over right now and make a list of all the FMV games that I own. :)

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#2  Edited By ahoodedfigure

If FMV hadn't got such a bad reputation when it first came out, I think the quality could have increased over time.  You get that problem, though, of budgets combined with actors often staring at bluescreens.  Once in a while you'll find some good performances in there.  I think Phantasmagoria 2 actually has better performances than the general buzz suggests, especially when you consider what else was usually out there.  Most people talk about the later Wing Commander series as being great, rare examples of FMV done properly.  They were good, but I miss the pixel versions of the Kilrathi :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.