What's your ratio of Fridge : Freezer?

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What's your ratio of Fridge : Freezer? (146 votes)

100 : 0 - I eat eggs, veggies, and fresh meat 1%
90 : 10 10%
80 : 20 18%
70 : 30 27%
60 : 40 10%
50 : 50 14%
40 : 60 7%
30 : 70 9%
20 : 80 1%
10 : 90 1%
0 : 100 - I eat Eggos, Tostinos, frozen meat/meat substitutes, and Digiorno's 0%
I don't have a fridge (see results) 1%

Personally I'm a 90 : 10 man. I have like 2 or 3 things in the freezer, not including ice, which I only really use for cold brew or cocktails. The fridge is another story; not to mention the no-man's-land that is the bottom of the crisper drawers.

• 
rahulricky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Recently I've started buying more and more frozen veg, onions, ginger, chillies etc. Tastes the same when cooked and lasts ages so I can stock up and not have to worry about going grocery shopping again for a few weeks. Less potential food wastage and also less time in food prep because most of it comes pre-chopped or peeled or whatever else you need to do.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, this is kind of a tough question, because I--like the previous poster--primarily use the freezer as long-term storage for things that a) are bought fresh and freeze myself (meat, some vegetables); b) are bought pre-frozen but prepare in stuff that is homemade (frozen fruits or vegetables); or c) are leftover from previous meals. If you're including that stuff, I'm probably at around 70/30, but if you're just talking about frozen prepared foods, I'm definitely closer to 90/10.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Wow, what an off the wall question.

Mine's 70/30.

Just how it is.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

60/40 and years back a full upright when my family hunted.

Been doing two weeks grocery runs since the pandemic so I have it fairly well stocked, plus some vacuum sealed Christmas ham.

effache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I have gotten really into using my freezer for leftovers during lockdown, I will generally make double or more what I will eat in a meal or two so I can freeze the rest for down the road. I'll also have things from other kitchen projects in there that I don't use all at once like stock (which I make rarely), tehini sauce (I make a couple quarts every few months), etc. I've even taken to freezing halves of bread loaves that I know I won't eat before they stale, and my girlfriend has started baking loaf cakes, slicing them, then freezing the slices individually. They heat up really well in the toaster oven.

But those don't really seem in the spirit of the question... the amount of food I buy that goes straight into my freezer is <10% of what I buy. Mostly ice cream, frozen fruit for smoothies, and some premade things like tamales.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

80/20, probably. I keep frozen veg and oven chips in there. Maybe some ice cream if I'm feeling like it. I don't tend to stock up much. My fridge gets emptied and refilled like clockwork.

Ryan3370

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But Ramen doesn't go in either...

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

Due to life circumstances, I don't get any food I need to refrigerate/freeze or cook.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9 sweep  Moderator

I've been eating a lot of ready-made meal-prep meals recently which are keto friendly/high in protein, so the majority of my food is in the freezer. I've found the easiest way to avoid snacking in between meals is to simply stop buying snacks, so other than some Kombucha, Hot Sauces, Greek Yogurt and maybe some fruit, my fridge is mostly empty.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's mostly frozen. I don't cook, I don't live somewhere with a lot of fresh grocery options.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm coming around to freezing food during quarantine. I really have always disliked the taste of fresh food that's been frozen and unthawed, but sous viding things like steak and chicken really balances out the flavor for me. And since we haven't been going out as much, we'll do stuff like buy baguettes, chop them up into sandwich portions, and then pop them in the toaster oven as needed to make sandwiches. So while I still think it's far preferable to not freeze something before you eat it, I've been coming around to keeping some stuff in the freezer if I don't think I'll get around to eating it before it'll go bad in the fridge.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Due to life circumstances, I don't get any food I need to refrigerate/freeze or cook.

We talkin pantry items like soup, ramen, etc.?

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By stantongrouse

40:60 - We get a lot of fresh groceries but we always make food in large batches, emptying a good chunk of the fridge so we have leftovers to freeze plus batches of soup and stock fill out the freezer. Plus, my Dad was always insistent for efficiency have a half full fridge and a well full freezer. I have no evidence of truth in this but it's stuck in my head now.

mekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mekon

We have two fridges, one of which is half freezer (both devices just over six foot tall) and two 4 feet square chest freezers which go to waist height. Defrosting them is a long process. Considering that where I used to live I had no freezer, but just a small fridge, it's a bit different. That said, there was a small late night supermarket from a big chain around the corner so it wasn't inconvenient. Would have liked a freezer though. edit: 70/30

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Go to COSTCO. Have a chest freezer. Try not to have too much condiment cruft or leftovers build up in the fridge (I'm so old I sometimes still call it an Ice Box - not because I ever used a real ice box but that's how some family referred to it and it stuck a bit). So 30:70.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@development: Yeah, stuff like that. I recently found a pre-made tuna salad thing that keeps for a long time, so I've been eating those quite a bit.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely more fridge than freezer, mostly because my freezer is TINY. I'd like to eat even more fresh food though.

Alendrew11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am 80:20 and have very few items in my freezer. Recently I have tried to cook meals myself due to circumstances. And for this reason, I found some recipes on google and made very delicious food for me. I search one site which helps me a lot in cooking my meal is gringalicious.com.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I'd say 60:40, though it could be closer to 70:30 in pure capacity terms.

My freezer is almost always packed full, but I buy very few "frozen meals" or things like that. It's mostly frozen vegetables (the likes of peas, spinach, soy beans, etc that freeze well), any leftover bread (I freeze it when I buy a new loaf, then use it for soups, toast, or if I run out of fresh before I can go shopping), ice cream, ice cube trays, sometimes packs of frozen mince, chicken, or fish if I've bought multiple on offer, and then a bunch of frozen leftover meals. I tend to cook larger quantities and then freeze several meals out of it, because while I love cooking I don't have time to do it from scratch every day.

My fridge is less full because it's often just me in the house and I don't get through that much fresh food. But there's always butter, cheese, milk, soft drinks, juice, and a bunch of condiments - then often some beers or ciders, along with any fresh ingredients I've bought to cook with or use that week. Y'know, fridge stuff.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

4250 to 1, unless there's a sale on pickles, in which case more like 2750 to 3.

AddisonRae73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@y2ken said:

I'd say 60:40, though it could be closer to 70:30 in pure capacity terms.

My freezer is almost always packed full, but I buy very few "frozen meals" or things like that. It's mostly frozen vegetables (the likes of peas, spinach, soy beans, etc that freeze well), any leftover bread (I freeze it when I buy a new loaf, then use it for soups, toast, or if I run out of fresh before I can go shopping), ice cream, ice cube trays, sometimes packs of frozen mince, chicken, or fish if I've bought multiple on offer, and then a bunch of frozen leftover meals. I tend to cook larger quantities and then freeze several meals out of it, because while I love cooking I don't have time to do it from scratch every day.

My fridge is less full because it's often just me in the house and I don't get through that much fresh food. But there's always butter, cheese, milk, soft drinks, juice, and a bunch of condiments - then often some beers fridge icedetective.com/best-beer-fridge-uk/ or ciders, along with any fresh ingredients I've bought to cook with or use that week. Y'know, fridge stuff.

Absolutely more refrigerator than freezer, mostly because my freezer is SO SMALL. But I'd like to consume even more fresh stuff.