Thoughts on the movie "Macgruber"

• 83 results
bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

I remember it having a couple of funny moments, but overall I thought it was pretty bad. I even like a lot of dumb comedies, but this one was dumb way beyond funny.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

If you don't like McGruber it's because you are nothing but a fun hating Cunth.

Avatar image for theinvinciblemark
theinvinciblemark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

MacGruber was one of those movies where the situations were humorous but often they were hindered by the acting. Other than Kristen Wiig most of the actors in the movie were really bad, except for a few times when Forte was especially funny (like when he blew up the van).

There were some well set up gags too, like when MacGruber did the celery in the ass thing. It wasn't that funny when he was doing it, but it pays off big when he is eating celery in the next scene. You could tell it was a saturday night live movie though, because for every good scene there were two boring ones that weren't particularly funny. That said, when the jokes landed I found myself cracking up a lot.

NmareBfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Macruber is a triumph. It drags in parts and not every bit hits but when they do it's incredible. His notebook / diary is the best part.

Also good: Hot Rod.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

#55  Edited By L33T_HAXOR

I just saw it and thought it was much funnier than I expected.

EDIT: If you're on the fence, this clip should help you make up your mind one way or the other:

Loading Video...

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the title of that "Best Parts of Macgruber" video back on page 1 has any truth to it, I do not need to see this movie.

Doskias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember it having a couple of funny moments, but overall I thought it was pretty bad. I even like a lot of dumb comedies, but this one was dumb way beyond funny.

Your words, my thoughts. Very much this.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

As someone who enjoys dumb humor, this movie was just bad. Felt like it was trying way too hard.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I had the same thought when I heard them mention is in MGS a few weeks ago yeah. Was about to go watch it blindly but decided to read some Rotten Tomatoes review synopsis' and knew it wasn't for me. I've never liked SNL anyway.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Kind of a bad movie (in most boring way). There are few good bits, but you can clearly see how this could have been way better.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeez, even that six minute youtube video was painful. That's the most embarrassed I've felt in a while.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't seen it, but that youtube clip did nothing to make me want to change that.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will Forte's finest work was on Clone High.

Pe4chy_96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember it being an OK movie... if you wanna have a nice time without having to use ur brain go for it :_D

DirtyRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's one of the best movies ever made. I'm really surprised that so many of you have such bad taste.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I assumed that all the MacGruber love was the same kind of thing as when people say they love Dan's "Air Force Gator" books. They're not actually great, but people think it's hilarious that he wrote books and want to be in on the joke. I haven't seen MacGruber but it's reviews on Rottentomatoes put it in the same territory as Grown-Ups and Adam Sandler comedies.

Tedtded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is offensively unfunny.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

After hearing Dan mention it so much I watched a couple trailers and a supercut of the best parts on youtube. It seemed super stupid, in a way that I could maybe appreciate at least a little, but the main character put me off. He just was not funny. Even the lines that should have been funny just weren't, due to his delivery. That "tell me what you want me to fuck" scene is alright though, lol.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just assumed it's bad because Dan loves it so much.

lokez352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty juvenile. I've definitely seen worse comedies, but to hold in high regard is odd. It terms of Snl movie it's no Blues Brothers its more on par with Night at the Roxbury.

icoangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its not a good or funny movie!

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

So while watching the latest edition of Metal Gear Scanlon, Dan said that Macgruber was one of his favorite comedy action movies. After hearing this, I decided it be a good idea to watch it.

Well, after watching it, I gotta say it is pretty terrible, at least to my comedy taste.

Anyone else happen to see this movie and enjoy it?

I think years later it easy to see that it has a type of humor that people think is "less funny" today. Its like watching any old movie, there are ideas, tropes and humor that used to seem acceptable that just inst anymore.

Does that make is not funny?

No, but it sure as hell makes it a film where I would discuss it with my whomever I was seeing it with. The idea that "Aww, it fine...its just a joke" just does not cover it; now, it more like "Aww, have to understand the time in which it was made and then put some of these jokes into a content that they seemed funny because we as a culture were just started to struggle with some social ideas."

And before people start crying, just consider that people who liked Shirley Temple had to have the same discussion in the 1960s when rewatching The Little Colonel (1935),The Littlest Rebel (1935), Wee Willie Winkie (1937), or Susannah of the Mounties (1939). Because how often did Hollywood need to make a movie about a little white girl swooping in with her daddy in to save people of color on four countries? Or, how often did Shirley Temple have to be the "face of" a defeated treasonous Southern Plantation culture by appearing backdropped by the Confederate flag or while appearing in minstrel Black face? "Two or three movies," you say "Okay, fine, are we done?" Nope, we get another ninety years of that crap using other young actors to rehabilitate the South by proxy....great.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Exclusive Jailhouse Interview With MacGruber [Explicit]

"...a grotesque exhibition of sadism." LOL

Loading Video...

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

The scrapbook scene where the young soldier dude finds MacGruber's book with all of his "clues" but instead its filled with the vindictive scibblings of a scociopath fixated on the car who cut him off earlier in the movie; is my favorite scene of all time.

As is his monologue about his friendship with the villian and how he cant figure out where it went wrong. The craft that goes into both of those bits is top shelf Forte.

Loading Video...

Olenka01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched "Super MacGruber" a year ago with a friend on 123movies and maybe it was either that I really like to laugh. Or maybe the jokes are really so dumb and funny. The comedy took its toll after all. In general the film looks not like an action movie but like some sort of props or amateur filming. But it looks okay. However, the beginning is unclear and a bit dragged out. But then the humor gains momentum and I think it was funny not just me. And a bunch of other people. It's just that we were watching it on DVD. And filmed like a movie theater and there you can hear the audience laughing. Because it's really both dumb and funny.

A lot of people reacted negatively to the film and called it garbage. But I think it deserves a watch to pass the time, what more do you need?

RobertForster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I brought my mother to see it in theaters. I liked it.

thuhang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i actually enjoyed this movie based on a Saturday Night Live character.most movies based on an SNL character don't work too well.but this one worked,at least in my opinion.it's billed as a comedy/ action film.i didn't think it was overly funny,though there were some amusing moments.for me,the movie worked as a straight action film.i found it entertaining on that level

Ohverture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started watching it the first time and turned it off after 20 minutes because it went straight past unfunny through to painful to watch. After hearing Dan rave about it, I decided to give it another go, and I got through it, but I got nothing from the experience and I did cringe in many places.
Even stoned didn't help. So......fuck that movie. I feel for Kristen Wiig, she's better than this.

ryudo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan liked it and for that reason I never watched it. I found his tastes bad. Movie looks stupid.

Avatar image for lapsariangiraff
lapsariangiraff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I watched it recently because Film Crit Hulk recommended it. Apparently Christopher Nolan is a fan? Wild. I think, like a lot of comedies, it's uneven, but the parts that hit are so damn funny.

• The van blowing up with his entire crack squad of aces in it
  • "I will suck your dick."
  • The celery
  • KFBR392
  • The one-two punch of his god-awful sex noises, followed up back-to-back with him having sex with the ghost of his dead wife in the graveyard with said sex noises, only for a groundskeeper to show up and see him air humping by the headstone... brilliant xD
bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By bybeach

" Even stoned didn't help. So......"

Ohverture sums it up so correctly. I tried watching it (or I think the one after), about 2 weeks ago, renting from that online store The only funny parts were him blowing up his crew, and pasting a mustache on his lady co-hort to look like a hippie.

Yeah.

It didn't go very far.

PS- I did really enjoy that skit they had on SNL a short while ago. That worked!

iMAliRaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By iMAliRaza

Loved it! It had everything.it was funny and full of action, very well casted, amazing film