Streaming TV Shows - What'ch Watching

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

Amazon Prime
Just finshed watching Reacher based on Lee Child's 'Jack Reacher' novels. I never read teh novels but my sister liked them. I think they show is good, but just a bit less than great. That actors are very good but I felt the main anatgiosts were a bit two dimsiosnal. You get a very heavy vibe of the Walking Tall movies, mixed with Road House. Its kinda new so I won't say more here, but mayeb when more people see it we can talk.

Hulu
I have no watched much beyond back season of Rick & Marty, Archer, Family Guy. I might watch DollFace because I like Kat Dennings, and The Great because I do like Ell Fanning and Nick Hoult, and historical fiction is fun. I am trying to get into Empire, but seriously ist is too soap opera, not one of the charcter on that show seems real.

Any recomemdations: I like crime fiction, historial fiction, and comedy?

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

At the intersection of crime fiction and comedy, I highly recommend Murderville on Netflix. It's only six episodes and they're each about 40 minutes. It stars Will Arnett as a shitty homicide detective, and each episode has a celebrity guest star. The guest star isn't given a script, and by the end of the episode they have to try to figure out who the killer is. It makes for some pretty funny moments.

Avatar image for spacemanspiff00
spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By spacemanspiff00

Too many things. I actually just finished Firefly for the first time last night. It was good, not great. Definitely deserved a 2nd season. I feel like its legacy has over glorified it quite a bit. Though Fillion is a strong leading man, and I wouldn't say there is even 1 weak link in the main cast. Its just that the story itself meanders a lot and some stuff is a bit silly. I absolutely cringe whenever someone attempts to speak a line of Chinese. And they do a terrible job setting up why anyone does it in the first place. And looking in other forums its basically gibberish. Not to mention there isn't a Chinese person in sight, possibly ever. The most fascinating thing to me about it is how it got cancelled. It literally sounds like some kind of sabotage. I've never heard of anything like it happening. The pilot episode was the last episode to air, for a bit of details. Just ridiculous.

Stargate Atlantis So clearly I'm in a Sci fi mood. I've never bothered to give Stargate the time of day. It seemed like it would be right up my alley too and now seemed like a good time to try. Started with SG-1, couldn't finish the first episode. I'm sure it gets better but I was not feeling it. Atlantis seemed like the next best bet. I'm over halfway through the first season and its enjoyable. The characters are likeable and the episodes are well paced. Some of the situations get a little holey sometimes and I'm left scratching my head. Its a good lighthearted vibe that mixes in some good tension and drama, with a smattering of comedy. Still waiting for Jason Momoa to show up though lol.

Some other mentions that I won't go into detail on include:

Peacemaker- Its ridiculous, ludicrous, bombtastic fun.

A Discovery of Witches- I'm not loving it but its an interesting premise and story that I intend to stick with. Gets a little romance heavy for me sometimes but I guess that is the dynamic of the show largely based around the relationship of the two leads.

Reacher- Its fine. I like Alan Ritchson, though do find he could have a little more charisma. He was better in Titans in that respect.

Superman & Lois- I've quite enjoyed this ride so far. The first season was solid, and while there is some overly dramatic stuff going on more in the 2nd so far, the intrigue is there.

Resident Alien- If you like Alan Tudyk and sci-fi give this a shot. Its more of a dark comedy, mixed in with mystery, and has a strong supporting cast.

Book of Boba Fett- Well, the Mando stuff was good, anyway.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@spacemanspiff00: As someone who's been a Firefly fan since it first aired, the fandom around it is absolutely crazy. I assume you watched it in the intended order. If you're at all interested in how it ends, you should watch Serenity, which came out a few years after the series and makes for a mostly-satisfying conclusion.

Stargate SG-1 is pretty good, but it definitely has that late 90s vibe for the first couple seasons. It eventually comes into its own.

Avatar image for spacemanspiff00
spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By spacemanspiff00

@bladeofcreation: I actually did watch Serenity way back when it came out. Thought it was pretty good, even if I didn't really understand what was happening. I don't even remember it at this point so I'm looking forward to watching it this week and having all the context. And yes I did watch the correct order. I think the pilot might be one of the best pilot's I've ever seen and one of the best episodes of the series.

Ya I wanted to give SG-1 a bigger chance but 200 some episodes is a big ask and Atlantis seemed easier to digest at 100. I hear the ending isn't too spectacular but I'm enjoying myself enough so far to keep going.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rebeccaa: I do want to watch The Brogias, Vikings, and Bridgerton. I thik I wasted at least half of The Tudors, so I might need to start that again.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers