Rate the last movie you watched.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#251  Edited By BombKareshi

I, Robot. Old movie, I know. Watched it for the first time last week. I give it three laws safe out of five.

Lava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#252  Edited By Lava

I watched the new Winnie the Pooh movie last night... I love that movie. Some of the parts in it are so funny. 9/10 Hunny pots.

Shotgunblast97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#253  Edited By Shotgunblast97

Pulp fiction 9/10 - It was the first time I ever watched the movie and it was amazing.

blessey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254  Edited By blessey

21 Jump Street. Suprised about it. Event though it was a critical and public success, I didn't have high hopes. Way better than I thougt.

4/5

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Frankenweenie. It was a welcome return to Burtons mastery of stop motion animation. 4/5

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#256  Edited By Samaritan

Ip Man 2, 4/5

Not quite as original or as touching as its predecessor, Ip Man 2 was still a thoroughly enjoyable martial arts film.

Fuzil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257  Edited By Fuzil

Ip Man 1 and Ip Man 2 5/5, for sure!
____

IP info

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#258  Edited By Video_Game_King

Have the spambots invaded this thread? Kinda seems like it.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#259  Edited By Phatmac

Looper. 3/5

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260  Edited By Morrow

I watched Colombiana and give it a 7/10. While there wasn't much plot and it was basically female Leon, I found it entertaining and Zoe Saldana looks great in it. Some sexy Michael Vartan was nice too :D

The last fight between her and Marco was done pretty well, fast and brutal.

Fuzil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By Fuzil
@ Video_Game_King, no I am a real person. I really watched the Ip Man's films these days. I am living in China and these films are very popular here :) Now I am going to watch an American comedy :)
Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#262  Edited By TheCreamFilling

I watched a random movie on Netflix called Tomorrow When the War Began. Basically it's Australian Red Dawn, I'll give it 2/5 shrimps on the barbie.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#263  Edited By ajamafalous

Saw Looper yesterday. I'll give it 8 Weird-Looking Joseph Gordon-Levitts out of 10.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#264  Edited By Genkkaku

@Video_Game_King: Spamception?

Attack the Gas Station.. Again.. 'cause it's an awesome film

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

So, after watching some of Patrick's Shocktober List...

Pontypool: 4/5. Had a few too many minutes at the beginning for buildup, but the movie after that is really fantastic. Having only seen Stephen McHattie in a schlocktastic B-Movie (KAW!), I was surprised to see him have talent and a fair bit of range. His radio voice is also fucking amazing.

Grave Encounters: 2/5. Snore-worthy for the most part, even for a b-movie. I will admit I enjoyed it up until the black guy dies. After that, it gets really, really, excruciatingly dull.

Oh and I re-watched Perfect Blue last night, 5/5. Almost forgot how great it is, but was quickly reminded.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Black Book / Zwart Boek: 8/10.

Dutch movie, got some good reviews outside the country as well and I finally got around to watching when I found a sealed dvd of it few weeks ago helping my grandmother move. It probably belonged to my grandfather but I suspect he wasn't able to watch it due to having lived through the second world war himself.

The movie is all kinds of awesome, although I have a dislike for the dutch language at times it does seem to sound genuine in this movie. It often sounds dull and plain to me in other movies but luckily this isn't one of those. The best part are the constant story twists and the ever present theme of good, evil and gray. The movie is worth a watch to the end just for the twists and is certainly a must see for people who are into the world wars and stuff.

Or seeing Carice van Houten naked, which happens a lot in this movie.

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267  Edited By Vrikk

The City of Lost Children. It was weird as fuck.

I don't know what to give it, because I honestly don't know if I liked it and its style or not.

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#268  Edited By tallTuck94

I just watched Prometheus for the first time and I thought it was pretty fantastic. I'm not a big fan of the Alien series as I've only seen Alien before this.

Why was their such a big backlash against the film? The only problems I had were the bad accents and the fact Shaw can still run after getting serious abdominal surgery.

I'd give it 4/5 for having an interesting story, great cinematography, and some of the most impressive visuals I've ever seen.

Seriously though why the hate?

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269  Edited By thomasnash

I saw 2 movies that a lot of you guys are talking about so I'll quickly say my piece.

Watched Cabin in the Woods. Really expected it to suck balls, was pleasantly surprised. I think the need for modern film makers to be reflexive often gets in the way of actual decent storytelling, and this film avoids that by crafting an interesting story around it, and making its "look at me" moments carry some sort of narrative weight. I think that it really gets to the heart of something about horror films that probably isn't particularly novel, but it certainly delivers it in a fresh way. I did have a slight problem with it, though, in that it wasn't really very scary, because most of the moments that are traditionally scary are undercut by a comedy - and in a different "stage" as well. It makes for a fairly pleasant viewing experience but makes it feel a bit dryer and academic than maybe you would want in a horror film. I enjoyed spotting the references to other horror films and franchises, though. A shorter, reasonably honest description of how it felt to watch would be to say that it was the sort of film where you keep saying "this is going to go this way" and sometimes it does but also sometimes it doesn't, which I think always makes for a fairly exhilarating film, usually.

It's also what I would say about Looper which frequently took turns I wasn't expecting (and perhaps just as crucially didn't take turns I might have expected). Unfortunately this isn't entirely positive because some of it is down to a slightly frayed nature it has - Just as I was remembering that it was by the guy who made brick, and that the silly voiceover might be an attempt to create something of a Noir feel to the whole film, it seemed to drop any ambition in that direction. In some ways I wonder whether that's part of the point, in that as a viewer, half an hour in to the film I was attempting to see how the "loop" of the film would close, in the same way that Levitt's character thinks that he can see the trajectory of his own loop, and the two circles are obliterated at roughly the same time. I did also feel that it suffered from one idea too many. Specifically, the supernatural element. When it was foreshadowed in the very beginning I immediately thought "oh, that might be one step too far" and at the end of the film, when that foreshadowing was allowed to "run" as it were, I was still left with the feeling that perhaps it was an unnecessary adornment on what was a very exciting and fun film...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#270  Edited By Hailinel

Prometheus

Great movie, and an interesting new take on the Alien universe, sans the Xenomorphs. Completely nonsensical death of Vickers aside, I didn't see much wrong with it.

4/5 Squid Babies

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271  Edited By thomasnash

@tallTuck94: Leaving out the sense that it answered questions in Alien that didn't need answering, and doing so unsatisfactorily, which I think is where a lot of the hate comes from, there are a few complaints that I personally would make about it, and I've seen other people make:

a) It's really bitty: Threats are introduced and never really come to much. This I suppose might be in part an attempt to measure it up to alien (which I wanted to try not to do), which had one concrete threat which existed at all times through the film, even as it elicited other crises around it. But even without measuring it against Alien it just makes for a slightly unsatisfactory viewing experiences. There are some admittedly brilliant set-pieces which feel slightly hollow because they seem to be there out of a need to have something happen, rather than any definitive forward movement of the narrative. In part this is a problem with....

b) the fact that Scott feels far more interested in discussing moral philosophy than telling a good story. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of RS' other work, and I realise that philosophical questions have been at the heart of a lot of his movies, but usually more subtextually. In this, it seems to be the thing that was written first, and the rest was slotted in around it. Every conversation is laden with philosophical hand-wringing and socratic dialogue of some description. It's not on its own uninteresting, but coupled with the lack of a consistent, constant threat it makes for a fairly staid film. It also contributes in part to...

c) really awful dialogue. This is perhaps a more overtly subjective statement than the others, I suppose, and even if there was some qualitative measurement we could apply, everyone would have different tolerances for it at different moments. But for my money, it's hard to be invested in characters who never talk like any human being I've ever met. My go to example is when they get the mission briefing from holo-guy pearce. He mentions that they have David, a prototype android. "David doesn't feel human emotions," he tells us helpfully, presumably because the writers assumed (not foolishly) that we are not all invested in debates about the sentience of machines. But is that really how you would introduce a robot crewman? It's so blunt and irrelevant to the situation that I actually laughed in the cinema. Or snorted with surprise, at least. It's not just moments like that though. Its the moments in the dialogue which feel the need to underscore their own importance and in the process insult the viewer's capacity to understand film as a medium in general: A character tells Noomi Rapace that the capacity to create is basically divine. "What does that make me?" she replies, the fairly obvious import of which is that she is infertile, as I think anyone with ears understood...."I can't have children" she continues, in a great moment of "both these characters knew that information and probably understood that it was to her infertility she was referring without having to spell it out." Similarly, Charlize Theron acts her face off to deliver a stinging, full of repressed rage delivery of the line "father" while the score helpfully alerts us to how shocked we should be with a stab of strings, even though it seems like a weird thing to say and we'd all guessed that Guy Pearce was her father about half an hour ago when she bickered with David.

Please don't think I'm putting you (or anyone else) down for liking it. I did think it was an enjoyable watch with a lot to recommend it. Those are just the things I think could be considered the most justifiable bases for "hating" the film.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#272  Edited By veektarius

I watched Get the Gringo, which was Mel Gibson basically playing some mixture between Riggs and his character from Payback. It's one of those films where they don't go to any effort to make you like the main character before he starts smartmouthing everyone and stabbing them in the back, though ti didn't go so far that I was actively rooting against him. I haven't got anything against Mel Gibson but its plain enough that this was the result of the number of people who do.

I said to myself, when I saw that the movie started in prison, that if he actually was going to get his money back by the end of the movie, it was going to move way too fast, and I was right. In addition to poor plot pacing, its obligatory romance jumps straight from 'fuck you, to 'My son likes you, so now I will literally fuck you.

That's not proper film criticism right there, but this one didn't deserve it. 2/5.

cruxking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273  Edited By cruxking

the Final Countdown...6/10

really great premise, but its a whole lot of build up for basically no payoff.

LastNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274  Edited By LastNinja

Rear Window (1954) - Riveting, you spend a lot of time cooking up theories in your head, 4/5 Hitchcock cameos.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275  Edited By Genkkaku

@SirOptimusPrime: What did you think of the post-credit's scene in Pontypool, I love that movie, and just re-watching that last scene every now and then

WaylonJennings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#276  Edited By WaylonJennings

Smokey and the Bandit: 18 Wheels out of 18 Wheels.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

@Genkkaku: It's one part complete goddamn nonsense and another part out-of-left-field. In other words, I loved it. I literally looked at my monitor just going, "what?" for like a full minute even after it had ended. I'm sure if I looked at the dialogue and mulled it over, there'd be some kind of importance to the gobbledygook they're spouting but in that instant it was just so surreal.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278  Edited By Genkkaku

@SirOptimusPrime: Yeah same the way it looked the way color slowly bled in.. I was just enthralled in this 2 minute scene.. I have to assume it's a reaction of the characters to the events of the movie.. I'm just glad I didn't miss it when I watched the movie

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#279  Edited By pr1mus

American Gangster.

It's about a gangster and he's american. Denzel Washington is great as always. It's a fairly standard gangster movie and almost 3h long but didn't feel like it.

I give it 32415 planets out of 50000.

JackOhara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280  Edited By JackOhara

12:08 East of Bucharest, pretty obscure, I found it through the 'people who like this also like' feature on IMDB. In Romanian with english subs, I thought it was really funny and it provides a different perspective on their 'revolution'. 8.5/10

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#281  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Oh boy.... I think the last movie I watched was Snow White and the Huntsman.  It was pretty boring and was just sloppy.  That stewart chick is awful as well.. Her 'battle' speech at the end was cheesy and corny at the same time.  And that other chick is damn hot but she over acted/screamed too much for my taste.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#282  Edited By smcn

The Hunger Games with Rifftrax commentary.

Movie:
Rifftrax:

I never read the book, and my perception of the movie may have been skewed by Mike & company. Regardless, I can enjoy any movie with Rifftrax -- the lone exception being High School Musical. My biggest problem with the movie itself was when

they chased Catniss up the tree. Why did they stop trying to shoot her after two arrows? Why didn't they hold Peeta at knifepoint or something to get her down? Failing that, why didn't they just kill Peeta immediately after finding her? That was the whole point of keeping him alive wasn't it?

Regardless, dystopian future scifi isn't really my bag.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#283  Edited By Hailinel

@smcn: As someone that read the book (I will watch the movie this week, probably), I can tell you that it's exactly the same as it happens in the book. I wasn't a particularly big fan of the book, though, as it's told from Katniss's POV and she is a piss-poor narrator with no imagination. I mean, it fits the character, but there were a lot of parts that could have benefited from better descriptions. Like, any part of the book that didn't involve fashion.

I just saw a Japanese horror movie called Reincarnation. It's a movie about an actress cast in a film about a mass murder that occurred at a hotel that might be one of the victims reborn. It was pretty interesting for the most part, and then the last ten minutes or so are OMGWTFBBQ.

4 reincarnated murder victims out of 5.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#284  Edited By Raven10

@MikeGosot: I guessed that [spoiler]she was his daughter. It was painfully obvious to me but everyone else I watched it with was blown away. My brother was so mad I guessed it. But seriously, that had to be the ending, right? It was obvious to someone else too, right? Anyone? Is my mind really that twisted?[/spoiler]

As for the last movie I saw, I believe it was The Master. I would give it 4.5/5. Stunningly good performances, and the type of heady premise you rarely see in Hollywood anymore. Not as good as There Will Be Blood but let's face it, no great performance is as great as a Daniel Day Lewis performance. And I preferred the story of There Will Be Blood more. But I'm glad Paul Thomas Anderson managed to get this film made. It is far too out there for 99% of the American populace, and I'm pretty sure at least half the old ladies in the theater fainted during the bathroom mirror scene if they hadn't fainted already. But damn that one scene alone made the whole movie worth it. Best scene of Amy Adam's career. I was completely floored. Phoenix was brilliant. Hoffman was just as brilliant and the two played off of each other incredibly well. I can safely say that at least 9/10 of you will hate this movie, but I loved it.

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285  Edited By bjorno

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286  Edited By tallTuck94

@thomasnash: Yeah you bring up some really good points there. Especially when Shaw started crying because she couldn't have children, I almost stopped watching because of that. The whole thing about Shaws' Cross was pretty bad too.

Actually in hind sight it's a very bad story but I still enjoyed it at the time.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287  Edited By thomasnash

@tallTuck94: Yeah I also quite enjoyed it when I watched it (less than perhaps I could have done because I ended up having to watch it in 3D which I really dislike). For all that I think it's a deeply flawed film, I think if you come out of a film and enjoyed it for the duration you can never call it a bad film. I think that's always going to be the case with a film like Prometheus because there's so much money going into it, and also because it's made by people with a level of professionalism and skill that they can invest into it. That can go a long way to support a movie while you watch it but the cracks always start showing when you leave the theatre.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288  Edited By thomasnash

@smcn: Never read the book, but as for the film, I guess I can see why that bothers you. They stopped firing arrows because they were shit at it, I guess, so why bother. I guess maybe even then you can say they should keep trying because they would probably eventually hit her. But with that said, you get the impression that they are kind of actually just lazy. Like, all through the film their plan is to wait for others to come to them, knowing that in a one-on-one fight they will probably come out of it better than the other guys. As for why don't they just threaten to kill Peeta. Well, I admit you have a point as to why they don't just kill him right there, although Peeta's whole thing is about blending in so maybe he sensibly keeps a low profile while they direct there anger at Katniss. But they might quite reasonably assume that threatening Peeta wouldn't be a particularly useful move, given that he appears to have just betrayed Katniss... Only possibilities, mind you, and that group of characters probably don't get enough screen time to support any definitive statement about their characters so that part might just come down to faith.

I'd love to hear some of your other reasons for disliking the film, though. When I saw it in the cinema I really enjoyed it, but I watched it again on the small screen recently and wasn't nearly as impressed. There were a couple of really exhilarating moments. The reverberation of Katniss' hand gesture after a certain death being magnified into the inarticulate howiling of revolution was (I thought) quit powerful. Likewise, some of the shots of the audiences in the Capitol had a power to make me feel quite uncomfortable, in the way it managed to show just how morally bankrupt these audiences were. Unfortunately, in the second case, many of the really juicy possibilities that these scenes presented were elided in favour of a lower certificate (understandably). There was a chance opened up, I feel, to really ask serious questions of the audience about their participation in and enjoyment of cinematic violence, but the need to keep the violence hidden and mostly suggested meant that the film never confronts you with those sorts of questions, ultimately. Instead it just has a vague equivalence with reality television that never really shocks, or confronts or worries the viewer...

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289  Edited By intro

Sinister 4/5

I like good scary movie that doesn't solely rely on hack n' slash gore and what not. The movie was just down right disturbing throughout many parts and just made it a creepy ass movie lol.

anpalcactus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290  Edited By anpalcactus

Dr.No 9/10

The 1st movie of Agent 007 series. 60-s and Sean Connery ftw!

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#291  Edited By Winternet

Looper 3/5 It's a very decent movie. I liked it. It doesn't get too fancy with it's tricks, which is a good thing (although monster-kid is in almost at the "too much" border)

Red Lights and The Raven 1/5 Just plain bad movies. There is literally no good reason for them to exist. The Raven is slightly better than Red Lights, because John Cusack. I'm pretty sure he's trying really hard to be bad in The Raven.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292  Edited By MikeGosot
@Raven10: I guessed that too. But that wasn't the reveal that i was talking about, i was talking about:
 It was not about the revelation, but how it works in the movie.
BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293  Edited By BonOrbitz

The Omen: 4/5

A creepy horror classic about a US diplomat and his wife raising their first son who isn't what he appears to be. Eerie atmosphere, some twists, and events surrounding the child make for an interesting movie this time of year.

AlfredCapone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#294  Edited By AlfredCapone

Cabin in the Woods. 9/10 It was great, before that was Grave Encounters-8/10

DopeToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295  Edited By DopeToast

Annie Hall

5/5

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296  Edited By tallTuck94

God Bless America 4/5

It has a very disjointed story with it playing out more like a series of aimless skits but overall it's very entertaining. The soundtrack is fantastic and I found the characters interesting and very funny. Tara Lynne Barr was great as Roxy, I hated the character of Hit Girl in Kickass and Roxy is very similar but she comes across as more psychotic and yet more likable too.

I also found it quite cathartic, which scares me slightly.

DirtyEagles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297  Edited By DirtyEagles

Looper 8/11.23 Bruce Willis

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#298  Edited By Kidavenger

I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry 3/5

The first time I saw this movie, I hated it with a passion so I don't know why I watched it again but it was better on the second viewing; either that or my expectations for an Adam Sandler movie have dropped to almost nothing, probably both but this movie isn't as bad as I remembered it and nowhere near as bad as his movies are now.

What happened to Jessica Biel; so hot in this movie, she definitely bumped it up from a 2 to a 3.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#299  Edited By Bwast

Enter the Dragon - 4/5

I've never really watched a lot of martial arts movies so I've decided to start checking out the genre.

Avatar image for belligerentengine
BelligerentEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Taken 2" - 0.1/10