Gotta draw a historical battle scene for assignment. Ideas?

• 81 results
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By armaan8014

So I'm doing my first year of bachelor of Architecture (just started 3 weeks ago) and the teachers are helping us explore our creativity and get a little acquainted with art before we dive in to more architecture - related stuff. 
This week's assignment is that we need to draw a historical battle scene or something of the sort. As soon as I heard the topic, my head started buzzing with all sorts of RPG game related ideas. I wanted to sketch down a scene from Dragon Age ASAP. But it seems that the scene must be from either history, mythology, legends or literature. That kinda lessened the RPGness that I could put in my drawing, but it's possible nonetheless. 

So I'd love it if you guys could point out some legend or hero or something, in which I could create the feel of an RPG game, but it would still be realistic (I know I'm not being very clear :P).
For example, I've been thinking of something like King Arthur, or William Wallace or something of the sort. Where I could show the guy giving someone a shield bash while sliting another dude's throat with his sword hand. You know, some bad ass war scene that feels like DA:O, Oblivion, Witcher or something, where I can use my game related art knowledge while keeping the drawing inside the rules.

So help me dig into history and it's legends!

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By eroticfishcake

Battle of Hastings, perhaps? First thing that came to my head. 

I was just going to suggest Battle of Thermopylae but it suddenly seems like a cliche now that I think about it.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Fallen189

Please please please dont do anything from a videogame. People will say to do it. Don't fall into that trap

Does it have to be English, or anything inparticular?

RTSlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By RTSlord

Battle of Gettysburg was the first thing in mine, i dont think itd be too hard to draw either

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By armaan8014
@eroticfishcake: I'll check those out thanks.
@Fallen189: No what I said was I'd like to do something related to video games but I CAN'T. That's why I'm looking for some epic legends in which I could add some video game flavors.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By eroticfishcake
@RTSlord said:
" Battle of Gettysburg was the first thing in mine, i dont think itd be too hard to draw either "
If I was going to draw this. All it'll be is just a bunch of men wearing uniforms in a straight line, surrounded by smoke. At least, that's the image I keep seeing whenever I see paintings of historical battles during the 1800's.
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fallen189
@armaan8014 said:
" @eroticfishcake: I'll check those out thanks.
@Fallen189: No what I said was I'd like to do something related to video games but I CAN'T. That's why I'm looking for some epic legends in which I could add some video game flavors. "
Is there anything you have a particular affinity for then? Arthurian legend and Greek Myth were two that you mentioned, but is there anything that stands out initially? Does it have to be anything like HISTORY history (Pre firearms) or could you do something more modern?
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Animasta

mythology?

go for some norse gods, man; Thor smacking down his hammer and wiping out an army or something.

Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jothel

ancient japan because it had giant enemy crabs, flip em over for MASSIVE DAMAGE
sorry, old meme is old, i don't really have anything productive to add to this thread

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

How about Waterloo, The Battle of Vienna, The Battle of Leipz ig or the Battle of Stalingrad.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By ZimboDK

What about Custer's last stand in the battle of Little Bighorn?

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By eroticfishcake
@armaan8014: Ooh ooh! I've got a nice one (I think so at least). Why not draw The Charge of the Light Brigade during the Crimean War?
rev_vadaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By rev_vadaul

It really depends on what kind of battle you want to draw? If it was the style of armour and to some extent the weapons in Dragon Age then you'll want to draw something from the late medieval period or the early early modern period. For that you'd want battles from something like The Wars of the Roses 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wars_of_the_roses
  The Hundred Years War 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundred_Years'_War

Or the Italian Wars http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Wars

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By armaan8014
@Fallen189: No, It can be a little recent, but i'd like to do something of the medieval or the era before that. You know, the time period of most RPGs (love them :D)
@Laketown:  Boy, Greek mythology sure is tempting. I'll have to think about whether I want to go for history or mythology.
@Jothel: lol, no prob
@Scrumdidlyumptious: very nice.
@TheSeductiveMoose: Ah! Battle of Stalingrad! Really tempting but that's a whole different era! Hadn't thought of going WWII with it, was too tempted to draw medieval stuff. But this could look really cool.
Ishoturface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Ishoturface

How about the battle of Thermopylae? It would be pretty easy to do.. The one the Movie 300 is based on.. Not the other multiple battles taken place there..
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By armaan8014
@ZimboDK:  I'm not too acquainted with all of history, but that sure sounds cool! I'll read about it on the internet and see.
@eroticfishcake: ooh it's even got a poem on it! Will read thoroughly, and check out the poem and see whether this wins! 
@ReV_VAdAUL said:
"  If it was the style of armour and to some extent the weapons in Dragon Age then you'll want to draw something from the late medieval period or the early early modern period."

Yep, that's exactly what I thought of and wanted. Will check those links out, thanks!
DjTann3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DjTann3r

battle of Reach.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RVonE

How about Ragnarok? Or the battle for the Citadel?
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By armaan8014
@RVonE:  You serious? If yes, then the thing is I can't use video games for the scene.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Just copy this. Your teacher will be so amazed that they will have no choice but to give you an A+. The text is optional, btw. 

No Caption Provided
Feel free to improvise and add more to the background. If you draw some Vietnamese civilians on the ground pleading for their lives you'll get bonus points for symbolism. 
ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ZimboDK

Okay, got some more if you're into mythology. There is the 12 labours of Heracles (Hercules):

1. To kill the Nemean lion.
   2. To destroy the Lernaean Hydra.
   3. To capture the Ceryneian Hind.
   4. To capture the Erymanthian Boar.
   5. To clean the Augean Stables.
   6. To kill the Stymphalian Birds.
   7. To capture the Cretan Bull.
   8. To round up the Mares of Diomedes.
   9. To steal the Girdle of Hippolyte.
  10. To herd the Cattle of Geryon.
  11. To fetch the Apples of Hesperides.
  12. To capture Cerberus. 

I like the Cerberus one the most. Hercules, in the underworld, having to capture the Cerberus without using any weapons.

You could also draw Thor fighting the giant Hrungnir. Thor crushes his skull with Mjölnir. Could be quite a bloody and gory image.
The fall of Achilles maybe. Shot in the heel with a poison arrow.
Theseus killing the Minotaur in the labyrinth .
The death of king Minos maybe. Not a battle, but scalded to death in a bath. That could be a really gory mess.
Perseus' "battle" against the Gorgon Medusa. Not much of a battle, since he basically decapitated her while she was sleeping.
There's Jason and the Argonauts too. Again, not that many battles, since he took the Golden Fleece of the sleepless dragon by giving it a sleeping potion.
Cadmus defeating the Ismean Water Dragon.

That's about all I can think of right now.

Jaserno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jaserno

How about The Charge of the Light Brigade during The Battle of Balaclava? That's what I'd do.

laticsfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By laticsfan

Battle of Cannae! Romans get utterly destroyed by Hannibal a cheeky strategy and..... ELEPHANTS!

Jaserno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jaserno
@eroticfishcake said:
" @armaan8014: Ooh ooh! I've got a nice one (I think so at least). Why not draw The Charge of the Light Brigade during the Crimean War? "
Haha. I just wrote this as well. That's two for the Charge of the Light Brigade. 
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By eroticfishcake
@armaan8014: I hope you're not indecisive.
fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fattony12000

The siege of Halicarnassus, 334 BC.

Alexander the Great nearly received his one and only defeat trying to take this place. When the city walls were finally stormed, Memnon (in charge of the besieged forces) burnt it to the ground to stop it falling into Alexander's hands, pretty much nothing survived.

Would fit right into any Total War style of battle/scene.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Battle of Tours, Siege of Stalingrad, , siege of Tenochtitlan,  one of the many sieges of Constantinople,  any given Tuesday of Ghengis Khan's life, etc.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By armaan8014
@ZimboDK: Wow dude that's a lot of info! Thanks! 
@Jaserno said:
" @eroticfishcake said:
" @armaan8014: Ooh ooh! I've got a nice one (I think so at least). Why not draw The Charge of the Light Brigade during the Crimean War? "
Haha. I just wrote this as well. That's two for the Charge of the Light Brigade.  "

Yep, That and the battle of Stalingrad and Greek Mythology are some of the topics i've narrowed it down to. Gotta narrow it further!

@eroticfishcake:
Well, yeah I feel like drawing ALL of these. :D But I'll do a lot of research for the next few days and will have to decide what I want to draw. Probably one of the topics i've written in the reply above ^

@Fattony12000:
Alright! Will read up on it, thanks.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By armaan8014
@Everyones_A_Critic: 
Tempting!
Who_Dat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Who_Dat

what about Thor vs. Loki i think that is as rpg as it gets

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By one_2nd

Gettysburg or if you're up to it D-Day'd be awesome. 

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll third charge of the light brigade, i remember writing an essay about it a couple years ago.

Also try and post it when you finish.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By eroticfishcake
@armaan8014: If you're going for one of those three then it's probably best to go for style that you're most familiar with. It'll be hard to draw a battle from Greek Mythology if you don't know the patterns, shapes, and the fashion of the people of the time. As you said though, the research ought to help. Good luck with your assignment!
Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By armaan8014
@Who_Dat:  Yeah I'm keeping Greek mythology in consideration along with a few others. Thor v/s Loki could be pretty cool.
@one_2nd:  Naw, I wanna keep the time period a lot older. 
@MarkWahlberg: I'm pretty interested in drawing out the siege of Stalingrad thanks to all the MoH games :D Will decide on it.
Jaserno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jaserno
@armaan8014: At least you have now narrowed it down. And you have a rough idea. From those three, I think I'd go with Stalingrad. Another one that might be good, but isn't exclusively the battle but more the aftermath of one - The fall of Berlin.
No Caption Provided
I'd do something along the lines of this because as I said, it shows the aftermath of battle. But would your tutors/teachers accept anything less than what looks like an actual battleground. 
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By armaan8014
@masterpaperlink: Yeah sure! Will post it up on GB
@eroticfishcake: Thanks man! Also, Battle of Hastings has gotten me quite interested. Check out this site. It's explained the whole scenario in the form of an epic story. Love it! Also, there's a documentary series on it. Planning to download and watch it!
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By armaan8014
@Jaserno: The teachers will be fine with anything. It's just the first few weeks and the teachers are cool with everything and are just trying to tune us a little. Thing is that I wanna go the extra mile just because I love the topic so much. Probably people will sit the night before to draw it out, but I plan to research and work on it the whole week! :)
Vital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Vital

The 7 hour war :D  (But really, that would be awesome.)

But really, I would go with The Battle for Britain, It was such an Iconic win during the second would war, and there is so much inspiration to be had with it. 

Liono88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Liono88

D-day beach WW2...always a classic

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By armaan8014
@eroticfishcake: What do you think? Is Hastings worth it? Should i watch the documentary? (1066 the battle for the middle earth)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1329539/
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By armaan8014
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By eroticfishcake
@armaan8014: I wouldn't know since I've never seen that mini series before. But if you have the time I would recommend that you watch it yourself and see what to think about when you've seen it and thought about it a bit.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By armaan8014
@eroticfishcake:  Cool, I'll be doing that. Also, there's a movie on the Charge of the Light brigade as well. Will watch that too!
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46  Edited By crusader8463

Battle of Hoth or Endor. Both major turning points in the war between the Rebel Alliance and the Empire.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By TheHBK

Vader vs Luke Skywalker 
I like when Luke loses his hand. 

Ah shit!!!!
Ah shit!!!!
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#48  Edited By the8bitNacho

Do something more obscure, such as one of the battles waged by William Wallace and the Scottish rebellion against England. I'm surprised at how any people don't quite realize that Braveheart is based (loosely) on a true story.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By armaan8014
@Kombat: That's what I'd thought of first! I'll watch the movie and see if it inspires me.
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armaan8014: If you are going to go with one of Wallace's battles I would suggest The Battle of Stirling Bridge.