Would you pay $30 to stream a new movie instead of going to the cinema?

• 163 results
EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@gundato@panfoot@navster15

As a moderator pointed out, I can't discuss this topic any further. But I wanted to thank you for your input (sincerely). As I've gotten older, I certainly see the issues with pirating and I appreciate your further input. This movie won't be getting any $ from me, however, and I do not justify it - I will be stealing it :(

TheMacNaughton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

To stream? Absolutely not. I'll just wait for the blu ray or when the price lowers. Especially for Mulan... No thanks.

If this was Tenet or Dune, I may be singing a different tune though.

Underlined for emphasis. This is it, right here. Those of us working in entertainment were also initially baffled by the price point and the discussions got interesting, starting with a notion like the above from The Colonel:

There is an audience who will meet that price - parents strapped for entertainment options, legions of people dying for something ANYTHING Disney. This is someone’s Dune, their Tenet, why treat it as anything less?

And to the Mod’s original point...

You’re competing with free - so you get that money, because once this opens up worldwide it will get pirated. Get that Day One any way you can. This is the end result of piracy that no one really likes to discuss: without purchase power you turn invisible. Attention turns to those who do - aesthetes who want limited runs from Kino Lorber and exhausted parents who want sweet release from Frozen 2.

Personally I think bundling a couple of months of the service would have been cool, give people a chance to putt around the service and see what was available, or mainline Clone Wars until their eyeballs sizzled like a hole in Qui-Gon‘s chest. Rest assured, a lot of people are waiting to see how it plays out.

TheMacNaughton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ralphmoustaccio:

I don’t think you’re alone on this, and we’re entering this weird place where we have these creaky concepts of value around home entertainment crossing with the erosion of the theater experience. $30 is too much for an iPad rental, but on a 60 inch OLED with full surround and your favorite snacks? It’s becoming an extension of the investment consumers are making in their own experience, because the theaters just aren’t doing the work to entice people. Dim screens, outrageously expensive food, dirty everything.

I feel insane writing this but the end of the Paramount Decree might be the only thing that saves the movie theater. Studios would want to prioritize the movie part of the moviegoing experience. It could get real nice for a minute before yet another monopoly flattens everything to dust.

norm9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll probably pay the $20 for Bill & Ted this weekend.

Avatar image for suburbannooblet
SuburbanNooblet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

1. People who don't have nice theatres close to them.

2. People who hate leaving their house.

3. People like me who have very nice setups at home and enjoy the ability to pause and make their own food and sit on their couch.

I'm all for paying a premium at home vs going to the theatre for lots of movies.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I guess just to add on: I bought Bill and Ted last week and loved it. Price was a bit high but 30-ish bucks for all three movies was pretty reasonable as far as "buy to own" vods go. And even ignoring how heartwarming and timely the themes of that movie were, it felt really good to see something big and "new" during the never ending lockdown.

So I still have issues with needing the d+ on top but... if y'all like Disney then buy some Disney. Subscription is bullshit but it is comparable to live or ps+ in that if you are the target audience you probably have it anyway.

mclubberlang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Went to the cinema last week to see Tenet, it was great. $30 (or £20 over in UK) for a film, not on my own, but if a family was going to watch it why not. It's difficult when they've got to capture the fact that multiple people would be buying cinema tickets versus a one off payment at home. But for an individual, it doesn't work. I don't know how they get around that issue.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i wasnt on board with the ever increasing inflation of conema pricing , im not on board with this ..

in cases like this if i really want to see the movie mabye i would pirate it instead , but honestly i couldnt be bothered and i just end up not watching the movie until it becomes readily available on streaming platforms for no extra cost .

kind of like how i buy alot more games during a steam sale , that i would never have bough at full price .. im finally getting around to enjoying nier : automata for instance..

movies need to start having pre-order bonuses and collectors editions on day 1 , then im sure they would make alot of money.

JoeDangerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Not for any movie ever. I just wait for Redbox these days.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I don't think I personally would. Now would a family of 4 be willing to pay $30 to rent a movie? Absolutely and Disney knows their market enough to justify that price.

If more movies start coming out with the ability to rent them instead of going to the theater, I could see myself possibly interested. The movie experience will never be the same again I think and there will always be in the back of my mind, "Is this really safe and worth the money?" I don't think I'm the only one with that on their mind.

rockinkemosabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

$30 is a steal if you're married with two young kids, who just want to watch the same new movie over and over again, and since you're not stuck with the same 48 hour rental window it becomes more ideal. The economics at that point is spending $30 versus $48 ($14.50/adult, $9.50/child) without any concession.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I spent $30 to see Mulan and don’t regret it. Instead of paying $12-15 to see it in a theater (not counting snacks or anything) I paid another one or two tickets and I just own it. Also, seeing a movie? In a theater? In this pandemic? Nope!!

It’s one of those things where I can’t really tell somebody “Yo, spend $30 to see Mulan”. But like, we’re talking $30. It’s not that much more expensive than buying it new digitally or going to the movie (especially as a group or with kids).

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

No.

I a theater that place of business is paying for lighting, heat, places to sit a screen to look at and a Dolby sound speaker system. I pay my $30 for my two tickets because Disney made the film and the theater is doing the work.

At home? I do all the work, right? Its my TV, it my sound system, it my heat, electricity and furniture. AT a certain point when you ask too much people source on giving you anything. Disney should know this... It was a Disney princess who said, "

"The more you tighten your grip, the more star systems will slip through your fingers." ~ Princess Leia

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really.

If for no other reason than it doesn't cost $30 in the theater (yet?) and there I get the giant screen and the sound and all that.

I'm not gonna pay a premium to get less because Disney assumes I am not alone.

MartinaMilito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Due to the pandemic, I lost the ability to go to the cinema as often as before. For some films, I would agree to give such money in order to bring life at least a little closer to the former norms)

cubbielover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly don't mind the $30 price tag on movies as long as you own them to stream, and not rent them. The $20 rentals are what I will never do. If I am paying more money to watch at home, I want to own that digital content (and I know....it should be "own"), not only have it for 48 hours after starting it.

Klestigt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, I'll stick with 123movies. Not interested in giving 30 dollars to corpo shitbag companies like Disney. That, and I'm poor as shit ;)