Jess and Jason have been laid off (Updated)

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Nothing but respect for Jess and Jason. Both of them have produced amazing content throughout the years and I am absolutely certain they will move on to bigger and better things. But this does suck big ol floppy donkey dick.

richhurtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Fuck you very much, Fandom.

cat-elemental

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want to say a big thank you to Jess and Jason.

Jess, thank you for being there and having a great time. It's been fun listening to you on Ryckert 06 and the Giant Bombathon. It's also been great seeing you go through Silent Hill with Jan and watching the games that you brought to UPF that i would of never seen otherwise.

Jason, thank you for reviving my love of fighting games. Not only throigh the ranking of fighters but the ranking of tekken endings too. You were there for Mario Party Party, Metal Gear Scanlon, Gotta God Hand, Years of UPF's, Breaking Brad and more. In the background and foreground, you have been there throughout the years.

You both will be missed. Thank you very much for the laughs and the smiles.

yeah, I'm sad we won't get to see Jess' turn on blight club or future horror games with Jan, and I was looking forward to hopefully seeing Jason on demo derby since that was set to return. they were both fun and funny, fingers crossed they will find something better soon.

Skiddie77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Skiddie77

Worst news ever. Fandom can go fuck themselves, seriously.

Will there even be a GB in 1-2 years?

Genji-Gloves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am gutted, all the best to Jess and Jason for future....much love. Really put a dampener here for me. :(

Ydross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cat-elemental: We will never see what her playing Earthworm Jim 3d with Dan and Grub would have been :(

Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

This feels awful. I mean, not that Alex, Brad, Vinny and Jeff didn't, but there was already the sense in the air that they were tired and wanted to move on. This though? Right after building a new team that I still contend was really beginning to gel and that this coming year was going to be a great step forward for the site... it feels worse.

Nothing, but love to Jess and Jason. Jason for the years of science and anime game defense when there was none. Jess for bringing the energy and shining a light on the independents and especially on the horror genre that was largely ignored for the majority of this sites existence outside of Patrick and occasionally Brad. I will absolutely keep an eye out for what is next for you both.

I still want to support those that are left but it does legitimately feel bad continuing to give money to Fandom. My sub renewed not too long ago because I saw brighter things ahead for this crew and I wanted to support them. Not the site ad hoc, not fandom, but them. This... this just sucks.

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By mach_go_go_go

Get fucked Fandom.

Edit: Sub cancelled.

Edit 2: Yes I will probably re-sub in a few months out of support for Jason, Jeff, Jeff, Dan, and Rorie.

dooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sucks. I'd imagine that it's hard to produce new content when there's constant changes going on. I hope the best for everyone. Now there's only 1 video editor, right?

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I wish all the best for Jason and Jess in the future. Two extremely talented people who should be golden hires for any organization.

As for the future of Giant Bomb, <>.

apewins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By apewins

It's a bloodbath out there for the tech industry. You can't run a business that isn't making money and I don't think the people at Fandom are exactly popping champagne bottles over this decision either. I for one will keep subbing for as long as there is even one personality in here that I like. There is still no doubt a lot of talent remaining at the site, even if people will be asking questions about how much longer. Maybe a deeper consolidation with Gamespot wouldn't be a bad idea at this point.

Best of luck to Jason and Jess and thanks for the memories. Well, not just the memories since the videos are still out there, but you know what I mean.

knoxt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

so is the plan to slowly and somehow simultaneously abrublty sabotage giantbomb out of existence? What is the play here? I don't see any silver lining or "bright future" for this site with those in charge of firing people off doing what they're doing. In fact, I may just rip the final band-aid off myself instead of waiting for a sudden 404. Talk about the worst ending.

El_Blarfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By El_Blarfo

Yet another reminder that digital media of all kinds is totally dependent on the whims of whatever group of fucknuts happens to own the site that week. You finally got GB back up to something like a full staff? That's nice, here's some layoffs.

Fuck Fandom. I'll be taking my subscription money and spending it on Jeff or Nextlander or both.

Darkaileron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a goddamn privilege to know you Jason, take care of your fam. o7

deject

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The change in direction when Alex, Brad, and Vinny left was rough for me to take. Gerstmann's firing was nearly the last straw, but I still liked everyone that was here. Now though, as much as I love everyone left it sure seems clear to me that GB is just going to keep being squeezed to try cutting costs and especially considering how little content from here I consume it just does not make any sense to continue my subscription. I've been a subscriber for literally 10 years, it's truly a sad day for me.

ZiegfredZSM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is horse shit, GB just keeps getting its legs knocked out from under it. It's impossible to regrow the site when it keeps taking body blows like this. I hope Jess and Jason land on their feet, I especially feel bad for Jason after so many years of great work.

ItsAhMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have feelings about this. I wont share them here.

Ydross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wished the whole team would rise up and protest the decisions. I know its unlikely and could be too risky but they cant just let it happen.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knoxt: The plan is to cut staff in order to try to balance the books. The problem is that every Giant Bomb employee is forward facing and the site is leanly staffed to begin with so every cut will be felt by the audience acutely and will impact the product. Not that layoffs are ever good or that people who work in larger companies don't matter, but when a department of 400 loses 50 people the remaining 350 may be able to make it up at least for awhile. Very different in a smaller team, especially when every employee has fans.

My guess is that every department was told to cut a certain dollar amount or percentage of payroll and these cuts are just what fit those parameters. This was part of Fandom's strategic plan overall, not specifically tailored for Giant Bomb.

HurricaneJas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jess, Jason, I'm really sorry. You both contributed so much to the site and didn't deserve such horrible news.

I wish you all the best in the future. With your superb talents, I know you'll both find amazing opportunities.

MonarchOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was watching some old Game Informer Replay videos that Jason hosted just a few days ago. He has been a longstanding presence in the gaming content that I have watched for so many years, he will be so sorely missed. Whether through editing / producing / hosting, his work has been just an incredibly welcome addition to the last ten or so years of my life.

I didn't know about Jess's content until after she was hired, but she really was a perfect fit for the site. I love weird little horror games but I hate seeing them through monolithic YouTubers like Markiplier, so I really appreciated whenever Jess brought something like Choo-Choo Charles to the table. I was also really looking forward to more hot takeouts (Horizon IS Ugly Jess! Thank you!) and Blight Club has been amazing so far.

Good luck Jason and Jess! I hope to see you both around soon in some capacity. Wherever it is you end up, you'll both make it a better place.

D0rf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They both brought really interesting tastes/povs to the bombcast. I haven't been happy with the site in years but this is beyond the pale. Pure speculation of course but I have to imagine all the remaining crew are looking for an exit plan right now.

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

Welp. Time to seriously start archiving my favorite videos from over the years because it is only a matter of time before we wake up one day and its all been scrubbed.

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This sucks, just hope this isn't the tip of the iceberg...or have we already crashed?

Rakete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am really sorry for Jason and Jess. This sucks. I am afraid this is not all yet. Jess came on board when I was already not following the site closely anymore so I have not spent so much with here content. This is mich different for Jason which I loved from the moment he joined with Dan. Thank you for all the hours of entertainment @unastrike

I cancelled my subscription already when Jeff G was unceremoniously let go but as I was a hardcore GB fan before during the glory days I used almost every sale to extend my membership to support the site. My sub is running to somewhere in 2024 when I am afraid all what is left of this site is a banner ridden mess with ‘content’ created by bots.

Ydross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldnt want to be in the rest of the staff shoes right now. Imagine having to be on and making content after this.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No sense. It makes no sense. Jess was a perfect fit and Jason was a stalwart old hand. Why them instead of some useless middle manager at actual Fandom? You just bought the site, did you do it just to kill it?

Man, I feel so bad for them both.

frothy_danube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck off Fandom.

Good luck to Jess and Jason.

o7

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

What a bummer. I hope everyone lands on their feet. Jason's been a favorite part of my daily internet video game consumption for over a decade. Him coming here is how I found this site.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's been a long road...

borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

What a shitshow.

Avatar image for thedapperswindler
thedapperswindler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fucking wack.

Ydross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it me or they just removed today Voicemail Dump Truck from the schedule?

LtGrimdark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just cancelled my subscription that's been active since 2014. I wish Jason, Jess and the remaining staff nothing but the best. The gals and guys working for this site now and in the past have helped me through some rough times, and while there were ups and downs as well as staff members that were more to my linking than other, the chemistry was there more often than not and things always seemed to work out okay in the long run. Doesn't seem that way anymore...

I might come back in the future, but for now I'm out as a paid subscriber.

ICleanPools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All love to Jess and Jason, two of the most important members of this site. Fuck Fandom.

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

holy hell this is shitty , as it this place couldn't have used More staff not less. it seemed like things were finally getting better around here too. jess only being here a yr n being in a strong majority of the content makes this kinda worrisome. n poor jason he'd been here the longest at this point ( excluding rorie of course) talk about some garbage :(

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure feels like a decision someone made purely looking at margins and not a single set of eyes on the actual product and what this will do to it.

Jolomono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a huge bummer. Jason and Jess I've enjoyed your stuff so much over the years, this is a real freakin shame.

Avatar image for merlehighchurch
merlehighchurch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RV and Fandom had no idea the unique talent they accidentally acquired and didn't know what to do with it once they owned it.

Love to Jess, Jason, Jeff G, Vinny, Brad, Alex, Abby and everyone else who made this site what it was.

Suits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Corporate has done it again. Two treasures were lost again 😩

razorblade79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

My sub runs till 2025 but I had to cancel immediately just to vent. Until then I'll probably know if I want to support the site again. This sucks so much, gb has been really important to me in the past and it feels like it's been dying over and over for the last couple years.

Moda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should just all leave and start something new together.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superslidetail said:

This sucks, just hope this isn't the tip of the iceberg...or have we already crashed?

The site's been tearing a hole in its hull since at least 2020.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Jess and Jason deserve way better than this and I hope both of them land on their feet because they're both amazing people who have done fantastic work in their time here. To be fair, Jan, Rorie, Dan, and all of the other front-facing staff deserve better too. They all do great work but keep getting kneecapped by corporations that don't understand the site. It's so frustrating to see CBS, Red Ventures, and now Fandom have layer after layer of corporate management but within all three, none had a single manager that bothered to take the 10 minutes it requires to understand what Giant Bomb even is so they could support the site properly. Gerstmann and Vinny have both said that back in the CBS days, GB more than paid for itself with premium but still constantly had to fight with management just to get budget for new staff and equipment. It seems like this got worse at Red Ventures, and now we have Fandom firing two big personalities from a personality-based website.

The Nextlander/Linus Tech Tips model of "the companies that own most of the media in this space are useless and aren't sustainable so we're gonna do this on our own in a way that is actually sustainable" makes more and more sense as time goes on.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dusting off the ol' account to say: Fuuuuck this. I'm starting to think Blight Club actually is cursed. I knew the Fandom buy would end poorly, but come the hell on, man.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

@ydross said:

Is it me or they just removed today Voicemail Dump Truck from the schedule?

They tweeted that they are cancelling today's shows in light of this sudden event. Forking is still taking place though.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

This is officially it for me. An original GB forum member, an original premium member. It's been a hell of a run, and I held out hope through all of the turnover, but this is the last straw.

And I'm so pissed off that I let my premium renew for another year earlier this month - I will definitely be cancelling the auto-renew. I will comb the archives for videos I desperately want saved on my HDD (already have loads), and then it's gone from the bookmarks bar, gone from the YT subscription box, gone gone for good.

Look forward to catching Jess on YT and live streaming, and hoping Jason does alright with his health and much love to Lisa and the kids.

Fuck late-stage corporate capitalism.

Avatar image for theodoricfriede
TheodoricFriede

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hope they unlock the premium shows for download so they can be properly archived before its all scrapped.

VectortheAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat: Forking has been delayed until next week now.