Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Would you like to see a new Obsidian Fallout?

• 65 results
    Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Efesell

I think at this point what I'm way more excited about is their original work

Muaddibththird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish obsidian still did this sort of thing. New vegas and motor 2 are some of my favorite games but I didn't care for Pillars. I love their take on other people's rpgs and I'd like to see them do that sort of thing again.

gobo212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd only be down with this if it wasn't done on Bethesda's tech. I'm so sick of that engine. Isometric fallout could be really good.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I think the Fallout setting is pretty worn out by now, so no. A modern day RPG by them would be interesting. I would like to see a more refined Alpha Protocol too.

Howardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes motherfucker yes!!

Ahem, excuse me.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'd like to see them do a throwback Fallout in the vein of Fallout 1 and 2.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57  Edited By GundamGuru

I'd love to see another pseudo turn-based RPG that's not isometric. Not that there's anything wrong with stuff like Pillars, but VATS is what drew me into the 3D Fallout games. I'd love to see an original IP from Obsidian with the ammo and handloading mechanics from New Vegas.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ssully: I'm curious as to why you say that. New Vegas added a lot of depth to the gunplay, and that's just the start of it. Fallout 3 could be broen by the time you were level 5 just by dumping points into sneak and small guns; they give you a pistol with 100 rounds of ammo upfront, and all of the speech checks are random chance so investing in diplomacy is a waste. New Vegas built up every lackluster system in FO3 and actually felt like an RPG and a world, whereas Fallout 3 was just a big map that Bethesda was really eager to show off and have the player shoot things in.

Honestly, I find the map/world to be the worst part about New Vegas. Visually it was great, but it was incredibly restrictive compared to Fallout 3 - I ran into invisible walls multiple times in NV, where as I cannot think of ever doing so in Fallout 3 except for when I tried to find them (edge of the world).

I also think it had a ton of half baked systems (ammo types/crafting, factions, etc) that didn't pay off. I think they aimed really high, but didn't deliver. I really admire the game and think it does have a ton of interesting elements and the story really is the best out of all the Bethesda games, but I would go back to 3 or 4 before NV.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@ssully: I agree about the world being restrictive. There are plenty of invisible walls to gate progress in a weird way. You could argue that it's their response to people proto-Skyrimming up hillsides, but I'd argue that they should have built the geography in such a way that it wasn't possible if they wanted to avoid that.

However, the other systems I found pretty good. It's satisfying to play a high speech character, dress up as a Khan after pissing them off a little, and trying to game them to play to your side, for example. And the general gunplay was much better than FO3 (and better than FO4, just because of the options available, if not the actual gunfeel). The ammo types and real ironsights added some flair and forethought to combat, which was previously just waltz in and VATs like mad.

New Vegas had shortcomings, and a lot of it is because of the ambition of their design coupled with the truncated schedule of developing NV, but I'll take some bugs and restrictions if it means getting a game with more vision and an attempt at deeper mechanics.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@nixamo said:

Nah. Every Obsidian game has felt fairly inferior to it's predecessors. KoTOR 2 is kinda a mess story-wise

Wh-what? It's one of the best stories in videogame history.

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be awesome if Obsidion were able to get their hands on the original Fallout 3 before the Bethesda purchase. It was code named “Van Burean” (I think that’s it). It was an isometric Fallout like the original two but was never finished.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New Vegas is a bad game.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By pyrodactyl

I would like them to do anything that isn't traditional fantasy. I just couldn't get into Pillars. It was kinda boring to me going through not Baldur's Gate 20 years later

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: just out of curiosity, did you play Fallout 1 and 2? New Vegas is essentially a first person version of those original games. So going into it thinking it’s going to be another Bethesda RPG, I can see why you would make that claim. The game is not even close to the same thing as 3 or 4 and I like those games too, they are just different.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#65  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

This thread could make me mad. But it won't.

I think NV is the best new Fallout game, by far. It'll be best to leave the weird mess that the FO franchise has become by now to Bethesda and the new fans though. I'm done with it. Maybe TES 6 will be my jam again once it's time has come. Get notable freelancer Chris Avellone to write some characters worth a damn for that. M'aiq the Liar excluded - he's awesome. Actually, Morrowind as a whole is also sort of excluded.

For now, I'm happy with PoE and the prospect of PoE 2. (Edit: I forgot Tyranny here. Tyranny is pretty cool as well!)

I'd naturally be open to Obsidian going for another original IP in the future. Maybe some sort of isometric, turn-based, post-apocalyptic role-playing game. Going for a "Mad Max"-sort-of-vibe might have potential.

The follow-up I'd want most is that "AP 2"-pipe-dream @therealturk already mentioned. That's where the ideas warranting further exporation lie.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.