Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dungeon Siege III

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jun 17, 2011

Dungeon Siege 3 is the third instalment of the Dungeon Siege franchise. It tells the tale of the fallen 10th Legion taking back the Kingdom of Ehb from the popular Azunite champion Jeyne Kassynder.

Square Enix, Obsidian Bringing Dungeon Siege 3 To Consoles

• 60 results
    mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Edited By mattbodega

Today, Square Enix announced that it would be publishing the latest installment in the Dungeon Siege franchise. This deal is probably the result of Square's partnership with series' developer Gas Powered Games, which saw the release of Supreme Commander 2 last March. However, while Gas Powered Games founder and original Dungeon Siege designer Chris Taylor will be overseeing this latest installment in the franchise, his company will not be handling the development of the the game. Instead, Square Enix has given developer duties to Obsidian Entertainment, the company behind Alpha Protocol and the currently-in-development Fallout: New Vegas

You guys thought Diablo 3 looked too colorful? Fine. Here you go. Darkness. Happy now?
     You guys thought Diablo 3 looked too colorful? Fine. Here you go. Darkness. Happy now?
    Not only will Obsidian be responsible for maintaining and improving the mechanics that defined the original game (its well-designed UI, fast-paced action, and mountains of loot) but also for bringing the series to the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, in addition to the PC. This will mark the first console releases for the Dungeon Siege franchise. No doubt this was another reason Square Enix sought out Obsidian for the game's development, which has more experience developing console games than Gas Powered Games.

Between Knights of the Old Republic II, Neverwinter Nights 2, Fallout: New Vegas, and now Dungeon Siege 3, Obsidian has further cemented its reputation as de facto RPG developer of sequels to other developers' franchises. It's a weird legacy for a company, especially in the context of how many more developers recently are seeking out development deals that allow them to control their original game IPs. To see a company that can handle being handed so many different beloved franchises--and can create a successful game inside of that established world--is a rarity.    

Here are the first few screenshots of the game:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    We'll see how this new Dungeon Siege game pans out; there's no firm information about a release date, but with Obsidian still finishing up Fallout: New Vegas, I imagine it's a pretty safe bet we won't see DS3 until next year at the least.  What do you folks want to see from this latest Dungeon Siege game? Do you think this game's announcement is designed to take advantage of the excitement surrounding Diablo III? And, most importantly, is the movie canon?
    mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By mattbodega

Today, Square Enix announced that it would be publishing the latest installment in the Dungeon Siege franchise. This deal is probably the result of Square's partnership with series' developer Gas Powered Games, which saw the release of Supreme Commander 2 last March. However, while Gas Powered Games founder and original Dungeon Siege designer Chris Taylor will be overseeing this latest installment in the franchise, his company will not be handling the development of the the game. Instead, Square Enix has given developer duties to Obsidian Entertainment, the company behind Alpha Protocol and the currently-in-development Fallout: New Vegas

Not only will Obsidian be responsible for maintaining and improving the mechanics that defined the original game (its well-designed UI, fast-paced action, and mountains of loot) but also for bringing the series to the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, in addition to the PC. This will mark the first console releases for the Dungeon Siege franchise. No doubt this was another reason Square Enix sought out Obsidian for the game's development, which has more experience developing console games than Gas Powered Games.

Between Knights of the Old Republic II, Neverwinter Nights 2, Fallout: New Vegas, and now Dungeon Siege 3, Obsidian has further cemented its reputation as de facto RPG developer of sequels to other developers' franchises. It's a weird legacy for a company, especially in the context of how many more developers recently are seeking out development deals that allow them to control their original game IPs. To see a company that can handle being handed so many different beloved franchises--and can create a successful game inside of that established world--is a rarity.    

Here are the first few screenshots of the game:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    We'll see how this new Dungeon Siege game pans out; there's no firm information about a release date, but with Obsidian still finishing up Fallout: New Vegas, I imagine it's a pretty safe bet we won't see DS3 until next year at the least.  What do you folks want to see from this latest Dungeon Siege game? Do you think this game's announcement is designed to take advantage of the excitement surrounding Diablo III? And, most importantly, is the movie canon?
    EndrzGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By EndrzGame

sweet!

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Solh0und

I Lol'ed at the "Don't tell Uwe Boll" part. Btw first?

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By OmegaPirate

Holy shit yes! i'll take some more dungeon siege any day of the week! :D

Keithcrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Keithcrash

WOW!  Looks amazing!

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By teh_destroyer

those look cool.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By phrosnite

AWESOME! E3 2010 will be awesome. I can't wait to hear more about so many games and now including Dungeon Siege 3!

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By damswedon

Yes Matt the movie is canon you play the Great Grandson of Farmer.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Castro

Am I the only one that gets Dungeon Siege confused with Dungeon Keeper? Also, are those screenshots or concept art?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Milkman
    @Castro said:
    " Am I the only one that gets Dungeon Siege confused with Dungeon Keeper? Also, are those screenshots or concept art? "
    Looks like concept art to me.
    Gutlieb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gutlieb

That artwork looks beautiful!

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Jayzilla

umm, not so sweet. With Obsidian at the helm, this game will be SOOO buggy. The story should be great though. When I just want great story, I watch a good film though. Pass.

EricWinholt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EricWinholt

I loved the first dungeon siege. I have the second one installed, right now, actually, I think. I never played it, though.

I think those "screenshots" are concept art, right? Otherwise Obsidian is doing some truly filthy shit with their game engine.

Regardless! I can't wait. Between this and the next Red Faction being announced today, next year is looking pretty effing rad.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mosdl

So is this why Alpha Protocol was so janky - Obsidian is stretched out too thin

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zaglis

Stop giving Obsidian games to ruin!

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By unclejohnny79

I like me some dungeon siege but obsidian? thats kinda weirding me out

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By metal_mills

Get ready for some horrible bugs and performance issues, console folks.

Zoombini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zoombini

I have to admit, I am not a fan of Obsidian. They seem to make games that are, although interesting, ultimately fairly abrasive and unenjoyable. So my interest in this is fairly low. However I'll give its trailers a fair look.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By AndrewB

It's a shame the actual game won't wind up looking as good as those concept art images. And I'm very wary of Obsidian's track record.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

Another PC franchise ruined by the console tards.

shrig32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By shrig32

Dungeon Siege has saw console releases before, for the psp. Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony =)

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By phrosnite

Yeah the "screenshots" are art work. 
    NWN2 was fantastic (23 patches later) and knowing their track record I know Obisidian will do a great job with DS3.  
    But I'm curious what engine are they using though...

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By darkjester74

Sigh...

I really wish you so-called journalists would learn to get even your most basic facts straight.

Concept art != Screenshots

vaultdweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By vaultdweller

I love Obsidian and will definitely be interested in the PC version of DS3.  So far I'm really enjoying Alpha Protocol and will probably replay it after I finish my first run.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#25  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @PapaLazarou said:
    " Another PC franchise ruined by the console tards. "
    Oh yes. Because putting a Diablo clone on a console ruins the deep gameplay of clicking the mouse and getting loot. Oh wait. 

jimbofluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jimbofluffy

I enjoyed the first two games, I am curious to how this will turn out.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Seedofpower

I'll pass, I wasn't to thrilled by the last one.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ghostiet

Oh, Obsidian. So it's going to have a great story (I am deliberately ignoring the ending of NWN2, and let's never speak about it again) and cool mechanics, but it's going to be clunky as fuck and riddled with bugs. Hey, just like Troika!

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By aleryn

HELL YEAH! BRING IT ON!  WANT WANT WANT!  HATE playing Diablo/Torchlight/Etc games by clicking a damn mouse every quarter second to tell the little bastard where to go.  Even holding the button down to move gets old.  MUCH PREFER using a gamepad for that style of game.  Works great in Sacred II.

Or hell, just let people play that stuff on PC with a gamepad.  Just hate all the damn clicking when using a mouse.  Or make them control like MMOs - highlight a target, and be locked to that one til you change targets.  THAT fixes all the damn clicking annoyance as well, without a gamepad.

Errrr yeah that's quite the tangent I had there, heh.... ANY WAY - Very cool, thanks Bomb!

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jimbo

The title to this article is pretty badly worded.  It implies Dungeon Siege 3 is either already on PC, or not coming to PC - neither is accurate.

Althox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Althox

Another game I have to put on my "must buy charter". O.o

tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By tactis

YES!!! HELL YESSS!! I LOVED the first DS and its expansion, dint really get a chance to play the sequel that much, but hopefully DS3 does not disappoint. 

PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PJ

The first thing Obsidian should do is get some tech talent. They are by far the worst developer when it comes to tech. They make Bethesda look like technological masterminds. If they fuck this one up, then I will be so fucking pissed. I've given up on Fallout New Vegas already, it will most likely be shit technicaly but ok/good story wise.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#34  Edited By delta_ass

Obsidian? I guess this game'll have good writing and dialogue, but terrible gameplay, graphics, and polish.

drwhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By drwhat

That's some beautiful art.

I have to agree with everyone else, though: Obsidian? Get your shit together.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ToxicFruit

hmm I wonder how they are going to do this, 1 and 2 were very mouse and keyboard heavy. 

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By Venatio

Haven't really played the Dungeon Siege games, but I'm glad that it's coming to consoles and I hope that Obsidian doesn't fuck it up

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By theveej

I hope this will be POLISHED.... don't want another KOTOR II or Alpha protocl.

and I hope to god new vegas is somewhat polished (it got to have jank to make fallout 3 proud) and not half assed

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By Jeust
    @theveej said:
    " I hope this will be POLISHED.... don't want another KOTOR II or Alpha protocl.  and I hope to god new vegas is somewhat polished (it got to have jank to make fallout 3 proud) and not half assed "  

It can be awesome. I just hope they polish the technical side of the game. 
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Tennmuerti

I enjoyed DS1 and the expansion quite a bit, it was a unique game.
    But DS2 decided it wanted to be more like Diablo albeit with better and richer story quests and crappier mechanics/loot balance.
    I think it's not hard to predict that DS3 will go the way of the second one and will be something closely resembling Diablo3.

RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By RobbieMac

I loved DS1 I played that game for ages and I was actually playing it again a couple months ago, but I wasn't impressed by DS2.  So I guess we will have to wait and see the direction this game goes.

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Crono11

Tom Mc Shea is totally right about Obsidian. They really are a sloppy seconds developer.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#43  Edited By skrutop

Looks good.  It'll probably continue to look good when I don't buy it.  I found DS to be pretty dull by Diablo-clone standards.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ch3burashka

DS was my first and only dungeon crawler. I'm fairly excited for this, though it's interesting that Gas Powered won't be actually developing this. Apparently they're making Kings and Castles or something, which sounds dumb.

chewii101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By chewii101

Has Obsidian ever made a notable game not a sequel of another company's franchise?

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#46  Edited By MeatSim

Obsidian seems to be the man if you have a RPG sequel but you don't want to make it and need to hand it off to somebody else.

Mechanized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Mechanized

I looooooooooooove Dungeon Siege, but PLEASE, for the love of Christ do not fuck this up. It's pretty much a sure thing the story will be awesome, but if they fuck up the combat of Dungeon Siege I will be pissed.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DoctorWelch

Never played a Dungeon Siege game so hopefully this one is good can those screen shots look really cool.

Olivaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Olivaw

It's an Obsidian game.

I'm expecting a pretty great story surrounding a broken game.

And that's fine I suppose, but you'd think after so many games, they would have gotten the game development part down already.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By John1912

Hmm, pics look good.  I hope they take the game in a new direction.  First two were marginal at best when they came out, and piss poor when looking back on them.  Sadly I still always hope games like this will be good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.