Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

The Road to 50: A Retrospective

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Edited By Nadafinga

(Or “How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Play an Online Shooter For 459 Hours”)

Shit, man. I did it. I hit 50.

Normally I’m not one to really play a single game for an extended period of time. Very rarely will I go through a SP campaign more than once (But Nadafinga, you played through Uncharted 2 three times). True. But shut up.

I’ll go for a platinum trophy sometimes, if the game is especially fun and I don’t mind mucking around in the gameworld for awhile longer (C'mon Nada, you can't look me in the eye and tell me those speed runs in Mirror's Edge were "fun." ) OK, OK, but let me get on with this.

Even with some of the best online experiences I’ve had, like AC: Brotherhood, my interest dries up after a month or two and I move onto the next thing. (For shame Nadafinga, the MP in that game is awesome!) I know dude!

But in March 2010, I got my grubby little mitts on Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Now, other than playing a bit of BF: 1943 the previous year, I was a Battlefield virgin. But after I put this game into my PS3 and jumped online, something clicked in my brain. The gunplay was incredibly satisfying. The classes, weapons, abilities, gadgets, and balance were all wonderfully crafted. And it helped that a few of my friends were into the game, and we formed a a weekly play night on Sundays. I had found my own version of video game cocaine.

Now, because I have a job, a house, and a wife, I wasn’t able to hit this mark in a couple months like some crazy insane people were (seriously, how is that even possible?) I know, right?! But I played it pretty regularly over the course of the past 15 months. 459 hours later, that crazy distant goal of max rank 50 dinged on my screen. I felt a strange mix of both pride and shame…

Now, the game is certainly not perfect, it has some serious issues, but I was able to see past them. During the best games, it was bordering on video game Nirvana. During the worst games, I’d never rage-screamed louder at my TV. (Yeah, remember when you slammed that controller on the table and broke it?) Shut up man! Nobody knows about that!

In the end, I can comfortably say it’s my favorite video game of all time. Let’s look at some stats, shall we? (Nobody cares about your stats, Nada.) I'm ignoooring yooouuu: 

As you can see, I prefer the Engineer class. My overall K/D is 1.02, but with Engineers it bounces up to 1.10. I got 10 platinum stars, and I gold starred every weapon in the game, except for the Flamethrower in the Vietnam expansion. That might be my next goal. Or, maybe not. I should probably take a break and save some energy for Battlefield 3.

Thanks for reading my blog...and nevermind that cynical italics guy. He's a jerk.
    -Nadafinga

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Nadafinga

(Or “How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Play an Online Shooter For 459 Hours”)

Shit, man. I did it. I hit 50.

Normally I’m not one to really play a single game for an extended period of time. Very rarely will I go through a SP campaign more than once (But Nadafinga, you played through Uncharted 2 three times). True. But shut up.

I’ll go for a platinum trophy sometimes, if the game is especially fun and I don’t mind mucking around in the gameworld for awhile longer (C'mon Nada, you can't look me in the eye and tell me those speed runs in Mirror's Edge were "fun." ) OK, OK, but let me get on with this.

Even with some of the best online experiences I’ve had, like AC: Brotherhood, my interest dries up after a month or two and I move onto the next thing. (For shame Nadafinga, the MP in that game is awesome!) I know dude!

But in March 2010, I got my grubby little mitts on Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Now, other than playing a bit of BF: 1943 the previous year, I was a Battlefield virgin. But after I put this game into my PS3 and jumped online, something clicked in my brain. The gunplay was incredibly satisfying. The classes, weapons, abilities, gadgets, and balance were all wonderfully crafted. And it helped that a few of my friends were into the game, and we formed a a weekly play night on Sundays. I had found my own version of video game cocaine.

Now, because I have a job, a house, and a wife, I wasn’t able to hit this mark in a couple months like some crazy insane people were (seriously, how is that even possible?) I know, right?! But I played it pretty regularly over the course of the past 15 months. 459 hours later, that crazy distant goal of max rank 50 dinged on my screen. I felt a strange mix of both pride and shame…

Now, the game is certainly not perfect, it has some serious issues, but I was able to see past them. During the best games, it was bordering on video game Nirvana. During the worst games, I’d never rage-screamed louder at my TV. (Yeah, remember when you slammed that controller on the table and broke it?) Shut up man! Nobody knows about that!

In the end, I can comfortably say it’s my favorite video game of all time. Let’s look at some stats, shall we? (Nobody cares about your stats, Nada.) I'm ignoooring yooouuu: 

As you can see, I prefer the Engineer class. My overall K/D is 1.02, but with Engineers it bounces up to 1.10. I got 10 platinum stars, and I gold starred every weapon in the game, except for the Flamethrower in the Vietnam expansion. That might be my next goal. Or, maybe not. I should probably take a break and save some energy for Battlefield 3.

Thanks for reading my blog...and nevermind that cynical italics guy. He's a jerk.
    -Nadafinga

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By PhatSeeJay

I pretty much lost interest to play more after I reached 40. Mostly because you don't unlock any more stuff.  I just take pride in that my primary weapon, and first thing I platinum starred, is the knife. :P

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By laserbolts
    Congrats on the 50 dude. I can't sink that much time into online multiplayer anymore. I get sick of it eventually.
    Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nadafinga
    @PhatSeeJay said:
    my primary weapon, and first thing I platinum starred, is the knife. :P

Holy wowzers. That's amazing you're able to maintain a 1.22 k/d and have your knife be your best weapon.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By PhatSeeJay
    @Nadafinga said:
    @PhatSeeJay said:
    my primary weapon, and first thing I platinum starred, is the knife. :P
     Holy wowzers. That's amazing you're able to maintain a 1.22 k/d and have your knife be your best weapon.
    You'd be surprised how easy it is to sneak up on people as a sniper with motion mines, a shotgun, 1911 pistol and your trusty knife. Even if the highest main weapon for me is the M24, I just hate playing the sniper as a long range support class. Much more fun to be an assault sniper. 
    Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Beaudacious

I never understood the point of getting to 50 after rank 23. I got all the weapons, and already had everything in needed to kill people at rank 10. F2000 Assault with a 4x scope, sniping snipers a cross the map, and emptying 30 bullets into anyone in front of me in 3 seconds.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By SSully

Very nice sir. I had the battlefield addiction back with BF2, but I put a good deal amount of time into bad company 2. My favorite class was also engineer, there is just something extremely satisfying about hunting down tanks, or taking out helicopters with my missile launcher. 

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ShaneDev

I have yet to get to 50 despite how much time I have put into it I am setting at 39 now I think. I love it and it has almost replaced Halo as my favorite online shooter. I usually just play assault or assault sniper with an M1,M14 or SVD. One of my favorite things to do is to go an entire round using only the smoke launcher to kill people. Its actually very easy to use and really effective since you can get the ammo back really quickly. I actually placed first in a round doing that.

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nadafinga
    @ShaneDev said:
    I have yet to get to 50 despite how much time I have put into it I am setting at 39 now I think. I love it and it has almost replaced Halo as my favorite online shooter. I usually just play assault or assault sniper with an M1,M14 or SVD. One of my favorite things to do is to go an entire round using only the smoke launcher to kill people. Its actually very easy to use and really effective since you can get the ammo back really quickly. I actually placed first in a round doing that.

Just the other night there was a guy running around using only his defibrillator to kill people. He got me a couple times, and placed decently in the leaderboard at the end of the match. Kinda funny.

@PhatSeeJay said:
    You'd be surprised how easy it is to sneak up on people as a sniper with motion mines, a shotgun, 1911 pistol and your trusty knife. Even if the highest main weapon for me is the M24, I just hate playing the sniper as a long range support class. Much more fun to be an assault sniper. 

Oh, for sure, I had a long spell of rolling as assault sniper. That's where almost all my G3 kills came from.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Seppli
    @Beaudacious said:
    I never understood the point of getting to 50 after rank 23. I got all the weapons, and already had everything in needed to kill people at rank 10. F2000 Assault with a 4x scope, sniping snipers a cross the map, and emptying 30 bullets into anyone in front of me in 3 seconds.
    Back in the day we played games for the fun of it.

@Nadafinga

Congratulations - welcome to the BF:BC 2 veteran's club.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By big_jon

Yeah I hit a 50 a few months ago, I'll post stats later.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.