Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

how do I get more points?

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By dagas

It is taking forever to level up in this game. It took a long time just a get to level 1 (6500 points for the first level, seriously?!). It was very fast in Bad Company 1 and in 1943 i leveled in the first gamed. This wouldn't be a huge problem if I didn't feel so crippled. The people at high levels have scopes and ceramic armor and stuff that I won't get for a long time.

I'm mostly playing Recon and it seems people have a lot more health or the weapons do less damage in BC2 compared to BC1. In BC1 it was mostly one shot to kill, but here it a couple and with semi-automatic sniper rifles it takes several shots. I mostly end up getting the assist rather than the kill.

I got 1400 points in one match thanks to a bunch of mortar vehicle kills, but most of the time it's just 200-800 for a match and at that speed it takes hours just to level up one level.

Also is it just me or is it a lot easier to hit people in BC1 being a sniper than it is in BC2?

UncleClassy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By UncleClassy

Use more skill.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Help your team. Use medkits. Repair stuff. Revive people. Its not all about kills.  

I tend to get 3k in a match if I really try.  

Also its gonna happen if you just play recon. Staying at the back and getting a few sniper kills will not give you many points 

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Twitchey
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    Its not all about kids. 
    You can kill kids in this game? Is it some hidden DLC?
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Twitchey said:
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    Its not all about kids. 
    You can kill kids in this game? Is it some hidden DLC?
    Kills. Whatever
    dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dagas

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Help your team. Use medkits. Repair stuff. Revive people. Its not all about kids. I tend to get 3k in a match if I really try. Also its gonna happen if you just play recon. Staying at the back and getting a few sniper kills will not give you many points

I don't have any medkits and such unlocked and the reason I play sniper is because I don't have a chance if I just run into the fight with an assault rifle, at least when I just have an iron sight and they have 4x scopes and red dot sights. If I play anything other than sniper it's just run and get killed, run and get killed.

UncleClassy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By UncleClassy
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
       Also its gonna happen if you just play recon. Staying at the back and getting a few sniper kills will not give you many points 
    Not entirely true. A lot of times I've gotten first or second place by just sniping. Even if you don't get many kills, you can still get an ass load of points by pulling off good shots.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @dagas said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Help your team. Use medkits. Repair stuff. Revive people. Its not all about kids. I tend to get 3k in a match if I really try. Also its gonna happen if you just play recon. Staying at the back and getting a few sniper kills will not give you many points

I don't have any medkits and such unlocked and the reason I play sniper is because I don't have a chance if I just run into the fight with an assault rifle, at least when I just have an iron sight and they have 4x scopes and red dot sights. If I play anything other than sniper it's just run and get killed, run and get killed.

Then you need to play the other kits to get them. If you wanna get more points you need to adjust your play style. For medic be support. Hang around with a guy and stay close. Or get in a tank get some kills then get the medkits. Medic is support. You are not a lone wolf 
    dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dagas

I think my problem is with tactics, not the actual shooting, because I tend to end up fairly high up in Halo and CoD. I bought CoD4 just a couple of weeks ago and managed to get respectable positions right from the start despite the others being lvl 55 and me never having played it before.

It's frustrating because I'm usually pretty good at shooters, but I kind of feel like Jeff about BC2. Kind of seems like a game that is not meant to be played without friends with head sets. I managed to get a friend to play once it made it a lot more fun, but he is the only friend I have who has BC2 and he doesn't play much.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By pweidman

Try other roles! Go for the objectives, drive and repair vehicles, fly choppers, spot enemies, blow up buildings for destruction kills, heal/revive teammates, lay down ammo. All these things earn xp, many in other roles.

And yeah, leveling is slower than in most games.

You think it's slow now, wait until 30+...it requires much more xp every time. The design basis being you're better and more experienced, but you still must compete against 40-50 ranked players routinely who've played this game since launch.

Hang in there. Stuff unlocks pretty fast actually. And try to get a squad of guys together you know who will talk it up and are willing to work together unselfishly. Can't overstate how important that is, and especially how much more fun the game can become w/a squad of friends.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dagas

@pweidman said:

Try other roles! Go for the objectives, drive vehicles, fly choppers, spot enemies, blow up buildings for destruction kills, heal/revive teammates, lay down ammo. All these things earn xp, many in other roles.

You think it's slow now, wait until 30+...it requires much more xp every time. The design basis being you're better and more experienced, but you still must compete against 40-50 ranked players routinely who've played this game since launch.

Hang in there. Stuff unlocks pretty fast actually. And try to get a squad of guys together you know who will talk it up and are willing to work together unselfishly. Can't overstate how important that is, and especially how much more fun the game can become w/a squad of friends.

Yeah it was fun to play with a friend and cooperate, but he doesn't play much and he is the only person on my friends list who has BC2. I mostly just have Halo buddies on my friends list.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @pweidman said:

Try other roles! Go for the objectives, drive vehicles, fly choppers, spot enemies, blow up buildings for destruction kills, heal/revive teammates, lay down ammo. All these things earn xp, many in other roles.

This this this. You need to do other stuff instead of just snipping. I played once without getting a single kill and got highest score and near 2500 points. Repairing and dropping ammo and healing. 
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Marz

MEDIC

you will get the most points just dropping health packs and reviving people (don't be that dude who just revives and lets teammates die because your not clearing the area first), use the improved healing and larger medpack radius perks and you will get like 2k points a game if you are not really killing anyone.

if your asking how to be a better recon.  Use your sensors, spot people, don't be that dude just sitting at the back of the map trying to shoot people from the middle of nowhere.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By UlquioKani

Recon can get kills but that really isn't their main roll. They get most of their points from motion mines, spotting and planting charges on things. You can kill moving targets but your sniper rifle is really to take out stationary targets.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Sogeman

If you absolutely have to play Recon, use real Sniper Rifles and learn to shoot. 

But even better, don't play Recon. Play Medic.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Seedofpower

@Sogeman said:

But even better, don't play Recon. Play Medic.

Yup. It may be hard at first but it is like that with all the classes. At some point you will get the heal box and the paddles, then you will be racking up the points from the back without having to kill a thing.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dagas

@Sogeman said:

If you absolutely have to play Recon, use real Sniper Rifles and learn to shoot. But even better, don't play Recon. Play Medic.

I will do as you ask. It's just weird that I'm so much worse in BC2 than I am in BC1. They must have changed something...

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Evilsbane

@dagas: Get to about level 20, once you get the Magnum ammo and some of the nicer weapons it improves a lot, I really like BC2 but yea the slowness of the unlocks coupled with being gimped not having that stuff unlocked makes those first 20 levels a bitch.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dagas

holy shit! I got 2150 points playing medic and I don't even have med kits. All I did was stuck close to my squad mates and got a bunch of assists and kills.

Thanks for the tip, seems to help ^^

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By chrissedoff

capture points

Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

I think you need to score 1400 xp points as a medic to unlock the medic pack, if you got a total of 2150 and some of that was for pins you won then you can't be far off the 1400, as soon as you get it equip it and start dropping them every chance you get, it won't be long before you're getting 5,000 points for badges and pins for healing etc...

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Donos

Choose recon, equip something that isn't a sniper rifle, and go to town with spotting and motion trackers. 20 points for every kill your team gets in motion tracker range, which is a ton when you're running around on the front lines.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By big_jon

I get 4,000 a game on average.

TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
    @big_jon said:

Cool, that's good going. Would you care to tell us how?
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@dagas: I kind of hate playing this game for anything other than the Recon class, so I feel your pain. Something about the shooting doesn't click for me, so I tend to hang back and support folks.

I'd recommend playing Hardcore Rush whenever you get the opportunity, because the sniper rifles cause all sorts of havoc when they can uniformly kill in a single shot (sans one or two of the guns in the class).

Life got a lot easier once I unlocked the Mortar Strike. I pretty much spam that goddamned thing, but it's great for leveling indoor capture points and getting stray kills when you can't exactly pinpoint someone with the rifle but know the general area they're hiding in. Beyond that, spot. Spot everyone you can, and vehicles, too.

And if you want to crank up points for your Recon class but can't snipe effectively because of the layout of the battlefield, which happens kind of a lot, don't be afraid to whip out the SAIGA and just charge with wanton abandon. I can typically rack up four or five consecutive kills with the SAIGA before getting put down, and like I said, I fucking hate running-and-gunning in this game.

uberexplodey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By uberexplodey

@Donos said:

Choose recon, equip something that isn't a sniper rifle, and go to town with spotting and motion trackers. 20 points for every kill your team gets in motion tracker range, which is a ton when you're running around on the front lines.

This this this

Toss your motion mines by flags and the mcoms and tear shit up with a shotgun. Always a good time.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By Origina1Penguin

@dagas: I looked up your stats. You've only played for a little over 2 hours so I understand your frustration. BC2's multiplayer is not friendly towards new players, but It starts really taking off once you get your initial unlocks. I have a few basic tips:

• Have a full, varied squad and stick with them. Exception: Snipers; join a squad with other snipers (I'll explain why later)
    • Do what your class was meant to do (this nets you a lot of award pins)
    • Spot enemies (harder to do on consoles, but do it whenever you have the jump on your enemy)
    • Use vehicles to your advantage

The reason you want to be in a full squad is because any action you would get points for helping the team (healing, spotting, assists, etc) are increased if a squad mate is involved. A varied squad will have firepower and support and has a better chance of staying alive (or at least 1, so you can spawn on him and get back to the action - and points - quicker). Long range recon players would be robbing close range players by taking up a slot in their squad because they spread their help across the entire team and other snipers. Looking at your stats, your squad and team stats are low compared to your objective stats, even for a low level player. This means you aren't getting many support points. As for vehicles, use them! After the first few minutes of a match, many players forget about vehicles respawning at the base. These are mobile fortresses and are a big focus of Battlefield games because of their deadly firepower.

• Assault: Primarily for going after the objective and killing everyone in the way. Spot long range enemies. Assault class rifles are very accurate even at long range (with 1-3 shot bursts), so they're ideal for players that want a high kill count. Do not forget to drop ammo where team/squad mates are hunkered down.
    • Engineer: Primarily for vehicle use, either as driver or gunner. Repair your vehicle as often as possible. Engineers also have anti-tank weapons.
    • Medic: Primarily for reviving. Your team does not lose a ticket if a dead player is revived instead of respawning. I have the lowest K/D ratio in this class (.87), but the most points (83K out of 140K).
    • Recon: Primarily for spotting (marking) enemies and killing select targets. Always spot as a sniper in case you do not kill the target; a team mate is likely to finish them off. If an enemy sniper knows where you are but you manged to spot them, your fellow snipers can then easily bail you out. Close range recon players should use their sensor ball all the time to help spot enemies (and increase score). C4 is also a tank's worst enemy.

Don't stress over you Kill/Death ratio. Battlefield games are more about the Win/Loss ratio (to me, anyways) and team work is the best way to do that. Get that score per minute stat up by using your class's support roles. If your dead-set on long range recon, look up some Youtube videos on sniping tips, then practice getting those head shots. If you hold the fire button, it will prevent you from reloading a bolt-action rifle so you can see where your shots are going through the scope.

I don't claim to be a great BC2 player, but hopefully what I wrote helps you some.

xp0svolc0mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By xp0svolc0mx

Play Rush, A LOT. That helped me...

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

Medics in this game are like a Rambo/Jesus cross-breed; for leveling purposes, they're your go-to-sadists.

You will have to play with the other classes in order to level them, mind. Best way to go about it is points. Capture points, or you know, shoot people. Shooting people helps. Different tricks for each class, mind; say engineer, just hang out with a tank and repair it, and you'll level in no time. Assault, well... If you want a short-cut for getting a few levels in on a class like recon; I'd recommend giving yourself a shotgun and just going nuts. Shotguns are very OP in this game.

I personally find it sacrilege for a sniper not to be doing headshots at 100 + Marksman range, at least; but the game is very different from other shooters, takes some getting used to.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I'm not a fan of the fuckfest mayhem that is Bad Company 2, so i never cared to even look at the unlockables list or try to rank up efficiently  
    But all you gotta do really, is to help your team and take advantage of all the things that give you points.  

Most people i know who prefer being snipers, used to play all kits at first and harvested kills on the battlefield, captured flags, repaired many vehicles and revived/healed thousands of people. Thats the only way to have your score skyrocket.. Then when you're level 25 and you got everything unlocked, camp wherever you like and snipe 

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Help your team. Use medkits. Repair stuff. Revive people. Its not all about kills.   I tend to get 3k in a match if I really try.   Also its gonna happen if you just play recon. Staying at the back and getting a few sniper kills will not give you many points 
    You forgot to add a fullstop at the end there
    ElBarto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ElBarto

Be godlike

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Surkov

Medic, heal people, revive people. spot people. always mark someone before you kill them. It's free points, and if you don't get the kill you still get points.  

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    I'm not a fan of the fuckfest mayhem that is Bad Company 2, so i never cared to even look at the unlockables list or try to rank up efficiently  
    But all you gotta do really, is to help your team and take advantage of all the things that give you points.  

Most people i know who prefer being snipers, used to play all kits at first and harvested kills on the battlefield, captured flags, repaired many vehicles and revived/healed thousands of people. Thats the only way to have your score skyrocket.. Then when you're level 25 and you got everything unlocked, camp wherever you like and snipe 

@The_Laughing_Man said:
    Help your team. Use medkits. Repair stuff. Revive people. Its not all about kills.   I tend to get 3k in a match if I really try.   Also its gonna happen if you just play recon. Staying at the back and getting a few sniper kills will not give you many points 
    You forgot to add a fullstop at the end there
    I did it hoping you would be around to OCD over it 
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @The_Laughing_Man:  You also forgot the fullstop in that post! What's happening to you, man? You're not the laughing man i grew up with, the one who spammed fullstops every 5 words 

BRING HIM BACK, DAMN U
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    @The_Laughing_Man:  You also forgot the fullstop in that post! What's happening to you, man? You're not the laughing man i grew up with, the one who spammed fullstops every 5 words  BRING HIM BACK, DAMN U
    Watching the Trenched TNT.  
    chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#36  Edited By chan05
    @dagas: If you like to play as a sniper press Select constantly to spot and mark enemys. This way you will also get points when your teammates kill enemies you spotted. This should greatly boost your points. But in the end its true that sniping wont get you far. If you really want to get points there are 3 things:  
    1. Learn how to fly the helicopter...there really is no better way to get points once you got the hang of it!
    2. Learn how to use tanks (their machine gun is a very deadly weapon that is superior to almost anything else) 
    3. Play Medic and reanimate a lot of people while you kill a lot of enemies with their light machine guns (the SAW really is a VERY good weapon to get many points).
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#37  Edited By big_jon

@TheKeyboardDemon said:

@big_jon said:

Cool, that's good going. Would you care to tell us how?

I'm good, I use Vehicles a lot, go for Mcoms, and flags, I play Medic, Engineer and Assault. Each get loads of points for reviving, repairing, and handing out ammunition. Even Snipers can get high points if they spot a lot and use motion mines.

Every time and I mean every time you see a vehicle you spot it, keep every one aware of it's location, Tanks and Choppers will end you with a good pilot/Driver if your team is paying no attention to them, it helps the AA gun a whole lot too.

TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
    @big_jon: Thanks. Nice, I tend to play squad deathmatch, so I guess I really need to start exploring the more objectives based side of the game, I'm getting quite good now, by quite good I mean I'm getting about 1200 to 2400 points typically and occasionally when I get badges that will go up to 6000 up to about 15000 points, but that's not very often.
    dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39  Edited By dream431ca

You need to do EVERYTHING you can possibly think off. The one thing that's different in BF2:BC than CoD is you need to actually work hard to achieve points. Revive squad mates, heal squad mates, give ammo to your squad, repair vehicles, capture points, fly helicopters, drive a tank, use land minds, etc.....

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By Nate
    @UberExplodey said:

@Donos said:

This this this

Toss your motion mines by flags and the mcoms and tear shit up with a shotgun. Always a good time.

Yeah, spotting was a huge revelation to me. I've never played BF games before this one, and after watching a few tip videos on youtube I realized I had not been spotting people at all. In fact, I don't even know if I knew this was possible. It's helped immensely. I very rarely start shooting at them without hitting the Q button first (I'm playing PC), and it's helped my game a ton. 

The lone wolf snipers kinda piss me off in this game because their just no fun as squadmates. Sure, I can rack up points as assault by dropping ammo for them non-stop, but It's more fun to have teammates who you can actually move around with and clear areas. 

btw these videos helped for recon and assault -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4Sn2NMUdxk 
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp87567rH60

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.