Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 03, 1998

Metal Gear Solid, released in 1998, is a game developed and published by Konami Corporation. The game follows recent retiree Solid Snake in his return to active duty as he attempts to rescue DARPA Chief Donald Anderson and President of ArmsTech Kenneth Baker, both taken hostage by a terrorist group, in order to prevent the terrorists from launching a nuclear warhead.

Torture sequence just turned me off the entire series

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By nnickers

Whoever made the design decision to have a sequence demanding you mash a button at unrealistic speeds should have been shot. And if that was the same person who decided not to let you continue from there, I don't even know. I bought the essential collection, thinking I'd run through a series I've heard so much about for years, but this has honestly ruined the entire thing for me. After an hour now of running through the obnoxious cave with the obnoxious dogs, fighting the stupid boss while struggling with horrific controls, and then failing repeatedly to mash the O button fast enough, I am simply amazed that any developer would put such a sequence in their game.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By trophyhunter

are people suppose to take you seriously ?

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Kiemoe

MGS is a good effin game. Too bad you didn't enjoy it. But you can just surrender if you aren't able to tap quickly enough.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By BigBoss1911

So one single scene is turning you off from one of the greatest video game series ever?

Ginger_Avenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ginger_Avenger

Well then you will continue to miss out on excellence.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Hamst3r
    @BigBoss1911 said:
    " So one single scene is turning you off from one of the greatest video game series ever? "
    If he can't get past it...what's he supposed to do? :P

It's why I'm never going to finish Indigo Prophecy. The crazed analog stick twiddling sequences are abhorrent.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#7  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Y'know, you could just give into the torture and let Meryl die. It's not like it changes anything gameplay wise.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By brukaoru

After an hour now of running through the obnoxious cave with the obnoxious dogs,

That scene takes like 2 minutes to get through... Even the second time through...

Also, you can just not mash the buttons and beat the game that way.
    ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By ArcBorealis

Here's a tip.  
    Take a pencil, and roll it back and forth over the button. If you do it right, you should make it.

Did the same thing in Star Fox Adventures

Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zajtalan

wow you suck

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187
    @BigBoss1911 said:
    " So one single scene is turning you off from one of the greatest video game series ever? "
    Matter of opinion.  Some, like me, consider them lengthy wet dreams of Kojima's mind.  =  /   To each their own... 

As for the OP, look - if the scene made the guy dislike the game, then who are any of you to say otherwise?  I found that same scene to be incredibly off-putting.  Context-sensitive button-mashing as a way to tell the story is bullshit, even if said button-mashing is torture on a gamer's hand in contrast to the torture that Snake is being put through.  Doesn't matter, though...because this guy didn't enjoy it.  And of course, since it involves the words "Metal Gear Solid" and "didn't like", automatically everyone has to demonize the guy because it pissed him off enough to not enjoy the game. 

Go back in your cave, trolls.
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By KamasamaK
    @jakob187 said:
    " @BigBoss1911 said:
    Matter of opinion.  Some, like me, consider them lengthy wet dreams of Kojima's mind.  =  / "
    And what's wrong with that?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.