Facebook Increases Meta Quest 2 Price By $100

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#1 ZombiePie  Staff

So, one of the few legitimately good "budget" or affordable VR options just got more expensive. As seen in the Tweet above, the Meta Quest 2 will jump up by $100 for both of its SKUs with Facebook, its manufacturer, announcing no additional features to the device to coincide with the price increase. As The Verge explained, price increases on hardware without any improvements to said hardware are rare. While company has cited inflation as a root cause for the price increase others are speculating that it is a sign of the state of Facebook's VR ambitions. Facebook and Zuckerberg have been public about their VR division bleeding money in the past. While the motto has been technically retired, Facebook sure seems to embody the "Move fast and break things" mantra today.

That said, the Meta Quest has always been a well-reviewed piece of hardware and a recommended budget option for those interested in VR. While some consider PS VR an "affordable" option is requires a PS4 or PS5 and PlayStation Camera, which are not included. That said, it was "interesting" that Facebook announced this price increase without any additional features moments AFTER Sony laid out their ambitious plan to improve PS VR by adding new quality of life and software improvements to the device.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

This earnings call today should be something else!

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

...So how's the HTC VIVE Cosmos doing?

I'm sure that I'm speaking for many when I say that I don't fucking trust Facebook.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By TheRealTurk

Hey, the Metaverse isn't for the common rabble, O.K.? The Metaverse is only for the most elite Zucker Fuckers. Heaven forbid they let anyone smelling of PS Home through the door. Perish the thought!

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#5 ZombiePie  Staff

@rorie said:

This earnings call today should be something else!

Zuckerberg is already sounding the horn that he wants bigger and better results from the brand pivot he forced his own company to undertake.

"Move fast and break things" is back baybee!

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Broshmosh

Loss leading not all it's cracked up to be I guess. maybe Metaverse users aren't spending as much on MTX as execs originally forecasted. Wouldn't surprise me at all seeing as this headset was branded as the "affordable" option.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a PSVR and it's not that great. I haven't used it all that much, though I've definitely completed some games on it and enjoyed the taste of VR's possibilities it brought. But my favorite PSVR game was probably Moss Book 1 (I haven't played the sequel yet) and that's a game that could easily be a standard video game. Most VR games just don't do that much with the differentiating potential of the medium (which can be shown by the fact that many of the most popular games are things like Resident Evil 4...an adaptation of a standard video game that's like 20 years old.)

All that being said I am interested in PSVR 2 and may buy it depending on the price and my financial situation.

All THAT being said....while the Meta Quest looks cool I will never, ever, ever, buy a headset from Facebook. I hate Facebook. I hate using any of their software (though I do use some messaging stuff because my IRL peeps use it) and I hate them as a company. Tying a VR product to having a Facebook account and all the horrors that brings into your life was scummery of the highest order.

The amount of money they charge for the headset is irrelevant to me because I'd rather just not play any VR games or any video games at all than have to deal with Facebook. Microsoft and Sony and even Nintendo all have their issues, as do many other gaming companies, but none are quite as pure in their evil as Meta.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

I was thinking recently about buying one as a stopgap until I have space for "real" VR in a couple of years or so. It was just cheap enough to be a temporary thing for me, but now I'll just wait.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

I was going to get one, but decided to hold out for the PS5 VR2 since I was able to get a PS5. It's too bad. The price before was the same as the Nintendo Switch and a good entry point into VR. But I want a feature filled experience and while PS5 VR2 might not be as powerful as Oculus or Vive, it's close enough. With the price increase, people should just get that instead of the Meta Quest 2. It might cost an extra 100 dollars, but you get I'm assuming a much better VR experience. I guess when the PS5 VR2 comes out, we'll see.

ArmoredMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

huh, at least the steam deck won't be increasing their price at all in the near future, although that's a different beast. 🤣

ArmoredMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ArmoredMachine

The only problem with VR games I realized nowadays, is that the tech, or hardware, and the games made for them are still too scattered across different platforms, that's why the VR experience isn't that cohesive yet. 🤔

BeauBelBehemu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fascinating. The VR sounds as though it outstripped my expectations more than being "all-right" against everything on the market. I'll wait what develops out of it if they can make it work just for history's sake. For a console price, it's dicey to me to get invested, but I'm just observing.