Any sort of video games being inspired by movies or TV shows that you've known?

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GTxForza

Hello there gamers in Giant Bomb forums!

About more than a week ago, I've seen a thread to do with Metroid Dread being too similar to one of the sci-fi movies in terms of concept.

So this inspired me to create a thread about the games that I can sense them of taking inspiration from movies and TV shows:

• Forza Horizon series (Playground Games) = Top Gear and The Grand Tour
    Because of having similar vibes in terms of the road trips, racing, and stunt shows but the differences are:
    • Forza Horizon has to do with contestants who come into the Horizon Festival contest to determine who is the best racer, but there are adventures though.
    • Top Gear and The Grand Tour are both about car reviewing, adventure, experimental and comparison TV documentaries.
  • GRID series (Codemasters) = Thunderbolt (Jackie Chan film) and Days of Thunder (Tom Cruise film)
    Because of having the combination of licensed, fictional and cinematic motorsport racing, which has to do with cars, driving in high speed and aggressive way on racing circuits, one of the differences in terms of the roster of race cars:
    • GRID features various cars ranging from GT, Touring, Prototype, Drift and many others plus having touge racing.
    • Thunderbolt features JDM cars modified into fictional circuit spec race cars but lower grade compared to the real-life 1990's JGTC's GT300 and GT500 class standards, (Judging the cars in the movie having lesser downforce bodywork as they have a similar appearance to stock spec but still having racing modifications such as lighter weight interior, race-grade engine, racing rims, slick tires, livery with the number, vinyl & sponsors) plus not just about cars, it's also a kung fu action film as well.
    • Days of Thunder features Stock Cars (NASCAR).
  • Tokyo Xtreme Racer/Shutokou Battle series (Genki) = Wangan Midnight
    Due to the success of Wangan Midnight manga, so the game developer took the inspiration and develop it as an answer, then later, Genki and Namco both obtain and share the licensing of Wangan Midnight for the arcades and PS2 then, later on, the Maximum Tune series which is described to be a reimagination plus exclusively for the arcades.
  • Battle Gear series (Taito) and Driveclub (Evolution Studios) = Initial D
    Well, due to the big success of Initial D manga and anime in terms of commercials, so this made fans think and ask video game creators to make racing games that take place in mountains while having contestants drifting on the corners but the differences are:
    • Battle Gear and Driveclub lack in-game stories and take place in competitions on racing circuits and closed public roads including mountains but Initial D is about illegal street racing on mountains.
    • Driveclub mostly focuses on European and some American sports cars more than the JDM cars.
    • Initial D features a Eurobeat soundtrack, meanwhile Battle Gear features a metal instrumental soundtrack (Similar to the Guilty Gear series), and Driveclub features Drum & Bass and Dubstep soundtracks.
  • Need For Speed series (Electronic Arts) and Midnight Club series (Rockstar) = Fast & Furious
    Since after the release and commercial success of The Fast & The Furious (2001 film), this made more and more JDM fans in the Western countries, think and ask for street racing games that feature tuner cars travelling & racing through the urban environments plus having various modifications so this inspired EA Black Box and Angel Studios/Rockstar San Diego to create new installment for their franchise, Need For Speed Underground and Midnight Club II respectively, back in 2003.
  • Spy Hunter (Midway, WB Games) and Time Crisis (Namco) = James Bond 007
    The similarities with these three are about the protagonist, who is a secret agent who goes on espionage and attacks various villain organisations, the differences are:
    • Spy Hunter is mostly about vehicular combat, where the protagonist (IES' secret agent) is tasked to chase their targets and escape from enemies (Nostra's organisation) while ending their ideals for good.
    • Time Crisis is a rail shooter game franchise, where VSSE's secret agents are deployed to end all antagonists' respective ideals.
    • James Bond 007 is mostly about on foot adventure, espionage, rescuing and hunting, but sometimes in vehicular combat.
  • Cyberpunk 2077 (CD Projekt) and Snatcher (Kojima, Konami) = Blade Runner
    Both took inspiration from the Blade Runner film series in terms of the futuristic city and vehicle designs.
  • Fire Emblem Three Houses (Intelligent Systems, Nintendo) = Game of Thrones
    One of the three house leaders, Edelgard Von Hresvelg has similarities with Daenerys Targaryen in terms of story role.
  • Uncharted series (Naughty Dog, Sony Interactive Entertainment) and Tomb Raider series (Crystal Dynamics/Eidos-Montreal, Square Enix) = Indiana Jones
    What I've known in these three series, has to do with the respective main protagonist collecting rare treasures while defending themselves from various villain attacks.
  • Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar Games) = Breaking Bad
    Both are crime fiction stories where the protagonists commit trouble and fight against other gang members.

P.S I accidentally hit the delete button while I suppose to edit it, sorry about that.

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 25

#2  Edited By infantpipoc

Here is a new one I've not played through yet.

Tales of Arise=Star Wars (1977)

The opening has it all. A dramatic delivery of story premise. Stand-ins for both imperial Star Destroyers and Stromtroopers. A good-versus-evil story about oppressed peoples rebelling against an evil empire. And a likely doomed mentor figure who can be described as anime Ewan McGregor, so their got their Obi-wan Kenobi as well. Funny how the Star Wars fans filled outlets like Gameinformer and IGN have reviewers rating this game 90 percent and up.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By AV_Gamer

I will repeat my post about Silent Hill being based on Jacobs Ladder. A good psychological horror film that the people at Konami used when creating its hit series. Especially, the first two Silent Hill games. Highly recommended, if you never saw the film.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

A lot of Final Fantasy 12 had some rather direct analogies to Star Wars, specifically A New Hope.

The Rusty Lake games visually draw from the short films of David Lynch and also give me a Harmony Korine vibe for its creepy family stuff.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By shiftygism

GTA (and RDR for that matter) have lifted countless themes and scenarios from film and television, so much so them making a movie adaptation of any of those games would be redundant. The easiest influence to spot is Vice City's many references to the first dozen episodes of Miami Vice. Also I dunno if I'd say GTAV is inspired much by Breaking Bad, but I've often felt Snowfall feels like a television version of that game to an extent with the three storyline presentation it had early on with it only lacking the overhead map transitioning between characters whose paths would eventually cross.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#6 chaser324  Moderator

@tartyron said:

The Rusty Lake games visually draw from the short films of David Lynch and also give me a Harmony Korine vibe for its creepy family stuff.

A lot of developers really like drawing from David Lynch, specifically Twin Peaks - Alan Wake and Deadly Premonition being two of the big examples.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#8 fisk0  Moderator

1. While I think it manages to create a unique enough look and feel of its own, it's pretty clear that the Wing Commander games take some heavy inspiration from Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek, and to a lesser extent Star Wars. The humans have their federation, that in the first couple of games are kind of depicted as an analogue to Star Trek's utopian Federation, though later games take a darker turn. Wing Commander 2 essentially copies the whole "the klingons have a ship that can fire when cloaked!" plot from Star Trek The Undiscovered Country.

The Kilrathi are pretty much a hybrid of the Cylons, Klingons and the cat species from the Star Trek Animated Series, the music is extremely evocative of the Star Trek: The Motion Picture music, with occasional ventures into Star Wars music and the ship designs are all very Battlestar Galactica inspired, with the first enemy ships you encounter, the Dralthi Fighters, basically just being the disc shaped Cylon fighters, and the second ship players get access to essentially being the BSG Viper.

2. Carmageddon is just Death Race 2000, straight up. A couple of cars are nearly identical to cars seen in the 70s movie, and the third Carmageddon game even has the subtitle TDR 2000, though they claim it's short for "Total Destruction Racing".

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Twin Peaks has inspired many a video game. This site's own Deadly Premonition ERs showcase a lot of that: small town with dark secrets beneath the surface, small-town America being a breeding ground for horror, the insular nature of society creating others.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0: Oh, I also forgot to mention the game called Gas Guzzlers, which is a vehicular combat racing game that is heavily inspired by Death Race 2008 film (Starring Jason Statham).

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#11 sweep  Moderator

I don't think any world war 2 game has ever been influenced by Saving Private Ryan, which I've always thought was weird.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shiftygism: Not to mention that Tommy Vercetti is inspired by Tony Montana (The main protagonist in Scarface).

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is a new one I've not played through yet.

Tales of Arise=Star Wars (1977)

The opening has it all. A dramatic delivery of story premise. Stand-ins for both imperial Star Destroyers and Stromtroopers. A good-versus-evil story about oppressed peoples rebelling against an evil empire. And a likely doomed mentor figure who can be described as anime Ewan McGregor, so their got their Obi-wan Kenobi as well. Funny how the Star Wars fans filled outlets like Gameinformer and IGN have reviewers rating this game 90 percent and up.

I also see this as an example of how open minded people or critics can be. They like the basic heroes journey and even though tales is super anime, it has those hooks and the same skeleton, so it gets reviewed well. I also see the opposite, one look by many outsiders and this game looks too anime for westerners. Yet those same westerners will eat/take it in when its westernized into star wars. More over, another group will never watch say avengers, but will jump on board the multi movie franchise fast and furious who are basically super heroes, i could go on all day but my thin point is good games are good games, and its nice when people can embrace something new, and im glad most are.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Driver is basically every car chase known to man.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GTxForza
@shindig said:

Driver is basically every car chase known to man.

Oh, I forgot that The Driver 1978 movie inspired the creation of the Driver 1999 game by Reflections.