Audio in videos with no background noise sounds really bad

Gunrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I don't really know where to put this (there doesn't look like a forum to discuss Giantbomb content or give feedback but this is a "bug" that's preventing my enjoyment of your site) but I've noticed recently, maybe since moving to the new studio all the audio in videos recorded recently sounds really terrible when there is no background noise. Just to take an example the latest ranking of fighters.

At the start of the video before any gameplay, just before anyone speaks and just after you can hear sort of fuzzing, and then between there is just dead silence, which is very jarring and unprofessional sounding. A friend tells me this is because your studio is noisy and you are using an audio gate.

I find myself watching your content less and less because of this issue, and others have said this to me also. Is this something that can be looked at?

Gunrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't think this issue happens with GiantBomb East's videos though I am struggling to find any with no game audio at the start.

CanadianCowz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By CanadianCowz

IIRC, they've mentioned that it has to do with the HVAC system and they can't control it.

cliffordbanes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's not a good solution but you could use vb-cable(a virtual audio cable) or voicemeter banana and route the audio through something like mini host modular or pedalboard2 with a VST plugin like reafir that lets you create a noise profile and filter out background noise. Some streamers use it to remove background noise from their microphones. To automatically build a noise profile you would need a silent part with only the noise from the HVAC system. It alters the gameplay audio too so it's a flawed solution. Here's a guide. Use in4 and in5 under patch insert in voicemeter banana to send the virtual audio(aka windows audio) instead of the hardware microphone input.

unastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bear in mind the HVAC thing has indeed been something we've been battling since moving downstairs. While we can't control the air itself, we can hope to contain it... or at least EQ it out.

Which we've done for the most part. With older videos downstairs, it was much more prevalent. EQ'ing it out isn't a perfect solution as at some point the talent's voices start to degrade. Simply gating also isn't ideal in this situation as the air is often louder than the voices. We're currently using a compression technique that boosts signals past a certain decibel level (like a gate), but only a range of frequencies. Redirecting and dampening the noise is also something we're working on.

Some stuff gets through. It's not ideal, but it's a lot better than it used to be. And it's something that we're always aware of, cringe if we hear it, and try to improve. There are many types of situations, mics, and voices that we deal with in that room that we have to accommodate for.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By diz

@unastrike: GBW always sounds far better than GBE to my delicate ears. The background is not such an issue to me, since when stuff is going on, you can't notice it any more and I think you gate it well anyway. What I'm trying to say is thanks for doing good sound. I do appreciate it.

Subotnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Subotnik

I find the audio clipping from the compression to be less of an issue than the overall volume. It seems like the west coast videos have been roughly 7db louder than GBeast for a while now, which can be overpowering when played back at room levels. GBeast, by comparison, is pretty much in line with most other audio I listen to on the same system.

WillyOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WillyOD

GB, Tweak those Audio gate / Limiter / Compressor settings of yours. Audio is sometimes very Unprofessional, not only on Fridays. Just sounds like you're using too aggressive settings.

StoutLager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subotnik said:

I find the audio clipping from the compression to be less of an issue than the overall volume. It seems like the west coast videos have been roughly 7db louder than GBeast for a while now, which can be overpowering when played back at room levels. GBeast, by comparison, is pretty much in line with most other audio I listen to on the same system.

The new Rogue Aces quicklook is really bad for this.

fedallah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@unastrike: Apologies for the basic question, but you guys do have duct silencers in the vents, right? A heavy duty attenuator can make a world of difference.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Seikenfreak

Wondering if you're describing the thing I've noticed for some time. I don't think it's always there? Feel like I notice it on recent UPF?

I always assumed it was a gate or weird mic because it's a fuzzyness/static just before and after people talk. Is the HVAC really that loud? Almost wonder if a subtle, constant white noise would be less annoying than one that gets somewhat loud on and off lol

I don't know anything serious about audio though. Just funny that was thinking about this and saw the thread.