Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EverQuest

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Mar 16, 1999

EverQuest is one of the original MMOs that helped to define the genre. With twenty-nine expansion packs and over twenty years of being online, this game is still enjoyed daily by thousands all over the world.

Is it worth playing?

Avatar image for nicktorious_big
    nicktorious_big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By nicktorious_big

I was just looking around Steam when I saw that Everquest has went Free-to-play. I haven't really done that much research to see what they mean by free to play but it seems that you will be able to play a big portion of the game for free. I have never played Everquest myself so I am wondering, is it worth downloading the game and playing it now? Does the free-to-play version provide enough content to give me a good taste of the game? And, is it worth getting into Everquest this late?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#2  Edited By Kidavenger

I couldn't play this game in 2001 when I tried to getting into it because the graphics were so bad, I can hardly imagine trying it now. From my MMO experience (too much WoW and SWG) you have to put a lot of time into these types of games to get anything out of them, and I don't think free is a valid reason on it's own to invest any amount of time in a MMO. The only MMOs worth considering at this point are World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria , Rift and EVE Online, anything else is nothing more than a novelty.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Well, I just checked in on it after

I didn't go past the character creation screen because I just kept yelling "Wow! Really?" at the screen, but as a whole I think the time for the game has passed. Even if I really love everything outside of the actual gameplay still, it's a grind for the most part.

When that song popped up on the loading screen, though, memories just came flooding back. So, eh.

Avatar image for spicy_jasonator
    spicy_jasonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By spicy_jasonator

There's a breakdown here: http://everquest.station.sony.com/free

It looks like they're not going the micro-transaction route, which is nice. If nothing else you will have satisfied your curiosity. There are plenty of other free MMOs, though, including EQII.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By mikeeegeee

@Kidavenger: Anything else is a novelty? What? Guild Wars 2 deserves to be mentioned with WoW, EVE, and Rift.

As far as EQ goes, I'm downloading it right now and I am really excited. I played the game a lot about eleven years ago, so I've got tons of nostalgia for it. If you don't have the nostalgia, I'm pretty sure you'll find the experience to be a shitty one. Me, I just can't wait to be in Kelethin again, listening to that music, going to Orc Hill and Crushbone... damn, this is gonna be sweet.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 103

#6  Edited By Marino  Staff
    @mikeeegeee Kelethin probably had the best bg music of any city. I really miss those original midi songs. Being a halfling, the weird midi polka music in Rivervale is burned into my mind. Not complaining though.

Kill DVinn for me.
    uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By uhtaree
    Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Xeirus

@aquamarin said:

@Kidavenger said:

The only MMOs worth considering at this point are World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria , Rift and EVE Online, anything else is nothing more than a novelty.

What about TERA? I heard good things about the combat and the graphics.

The problem with most of these MMOs is there's so much rinse and repeat you're done after a week. Ultima and eventually WoW were the only two to keep me hooked for any reasonable period of time.

EDITl: I will say, I played rift for a brief period of time and it seems like a really solid MMO.

Avatar image for nicktorious_big
    nicktorious_big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By nicktorious_big

Well, I think I might give it a go. We will see how long I last! Yeah the graphics and visuals may not look good to me now but hopefully that won't be too much of a distraction...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.