Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Catherine

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Feb 17, 2011

The first game developed by Atlus for the PS3/Xbox 360. Made by the Persona Team, The game is an "adult oriented" action-adventure/horror game with puzzle platforming stages.

Hows The Story?

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By david3cm

So Ive run out of games I really want to play and have been looking at Catherine for quite some time. There are still some retailers up here in Canada having boxing week sales and sellingthis game for 20 bucks off or something like that. The blockpulling aspect of this game does not interest me at all, but I was wondering if the story alone could interest me enough to play through this game. So how is the story, without any spoilers is the story intersting enough, or at least strange enough, for me to spend 40 dollars and have an enjoyable time?

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CaptainCody

It's an Atlus game, so the answer is yes.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By david3cm

Also, I know there are a number of persona fans on the site, so I was hoping to hear from people who may not be die hard fans. People whos first experience with this company is this game.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Wemibelle

It seems like it might just be a normal story for almost the entire thing but goes off the rails in the final act. The themes and ideas in the game are great. The story beats themselves? Quite a bit less so.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

The story explores themes other games don't touch and does a pretty good job with it. Vincent is a good character but most of your time is spent on the puzzle sections. Which are very hit and miss depending on the person.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Chop

Honestly, I thought the story was a bit of a mess. It has some of the worst story interaction and morality meter mechanics I've ever seen in a game. 

That being said, it's still worth playing. I felt like the puzzles were great fun (especially the ice ones <3) and it's guaranteed to be unique; a nice pallet cleanser from all the shooters. 

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ShadyPingu

It broaches some themes most games avoid like the plague, but with varying degrees of success. C/Katherine could have been developed better, but they're mostly caricatures defined by the utter extremes of the game's morality spectrum. And it does basically turn into a JRPG story at the end.

If you value uniqueness in your games, it's certainly worth a try, but that's not to say Catherine ever fully realizes its ambitions. I guess it depends on how important it is to you that they even tried.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Animasta

I mean I like pretty much all the characters except for Catherine (Erica <3) but, and this really isn't too big a spoiler, if you can stand supernatural elements in a story about relationships than go ahead

but don't discount the block pulling stuff. I didn't think I'd like it, but it's honestly one of my favorite parts of that game.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By david3cm

OK, so it sounds like this game is different enough for me to stay interested, since the last game I played with a story I actually cared about was LA Noire and I'm guessing that is nothing like this game. So that settles it, I will be picking up this game tomorrow, might even try writing a review after playing for people like myself who have not played many Atlus games before. Thanks for the input guys!

dotpatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By dotpatrick

Story can be pretty hit and miss. At least for me it was. I liked it overall though.

It has some really high moments when everything is clicking for me, but at the same time the l experienced some pretty low moments. I like that the game deals in subject matter that pretty much every no game touches on and pulls it off successfully surrounding itself with some good characters. I didn't like that a lot of the time the game has characters act in completely illogical ways to push the story forward and it made for some really frustrating moments where I was screaming at the TV.

At the end of the day, it is a pretty engaging story.

Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
    Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Bam_D_Leprechaun

I liked it, being a fan of unique games, Catherine was great.

Speaking of, i need to go back and get the other endings

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By FluxWaveZ

If you're not interested in the gameplay, don't bother.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By cstrang

I did not like Catherine. At all. The story is intriguing for the first little while, but once you figure out who's been up to the no-good, you'll definitely feel ripped off. Shit, even the main character feels the same way.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

@Animasta said:

I mean I like pretty much all the characters except for Catherine (Erica <3) but, and this really isn't too big a spoiler, if you can stand supernatural elements in a story about relationships than go ahead

but don't discount the block pulling stuff. I didn't think I'd like it, but it's honestly one of my favorite parts of that game.

Pretty much this exactly. I'm not a huge fan of the way the story decided to wrap up some of the bigger issues, and I have an intense distaste for the main character, but all of the side characters, the other bar-goers and the dudes you meet in the Nightmare sections, every one of them is more interesting and developed than the entire casts of other games. That none of them were brought up for a Best New Character discussion is a shame.

Edit: Also, those nightmare stage block puzzles were awesome. I will fight anyone on this.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NegativeCero

Haven't played it yet, but just a heads up that a major part of it got spoiled on the GOTY podcasts in case you're listening to those.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By david3cm

Boy do I regret that decision.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@david3cm said:

Boy do I regret that decision.

@FluxWaveZ said:

If you're not interested in the gameplay, don't bother.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By huntad

It has a great, strong start, but there is a turning point where it get's bad.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By david3cm

@FluxWaveZ: I figured from the number of people saying that the game play was acceptable that I would find a quantum of enjoyment out of it, but those people are bad people. I do not find a frustrating, bad controlling block shoving game enjoyable at all, and a game that makes me actively angry is a game that I never want to play again. I should have heeded your warning sir or madam, and am now going to ratchet down the difficulty and suffer through this hate-crime of a game. I cannot believe people out there are surprised this wasn't on anyone's top ten lists.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zombie2011

@david3cm: The game isn't good, unless you really like block pulling puzzles.

The main story cut-scenes are good, but the actual game part of the story is just walking around a bar talking to the same people after every-night. This is followed by 3-4 block puzzle levels and then you get another cut-scene then its back to the bar, until you decide to leave and do more block puzzles.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By david3cm

@zombie2011: I am about 2 hours in and am well aware that this is a game that i no longer want to play and one I feel has so many flaws that completely overshadow the minuet number of good things it does. When the best part of your game is the drink trivia, you have done something, many things actually, horribly wrong.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@david3cm: Games are about the game part; the part where you actually play it. It would be utterly pointless for me to play an FPS if I hate and have no interest in FPS games. Same goes for Catherine. It's absurd that one who has no interest in the block puzzle aspect of the game would consider playing it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NTM

Granted I haven't beat it (yet), the story is pretty good. You get a very eerie mixed vibe of horror, comedy, and... romance? Let me give you one hint though, when you do the puzzle parts, try your best not to care too much about that gameplay portion, it'll make it easier to get through for some odd reason and it'll just be less stressful.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By david3cm

@FluxWaveZ: I agree with you that a prerequisite for a good game is good gameplay, but when there are so few games with engaging stories and I find one that I am actually interested in, I am able to trudge through it to see where the game takes me. But, and this is the case with this game, when something plays this shitty, it is hard for me to give credit for the things that this game attempts to do.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sayishere

I actually ended up really enjoying the puzzle part of the game more than the story, but thats just me. Seriously don't play this game if the gameplay part of the game looks boring to you. If it looks somewhat interesting play it on very easy, because the game gets damn difficult on normal.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By Commisar123

I'm not the sort of neutral individual you're looking for, but I'll say this. I disliked the gameplay and had some problems with the story, but I loved it all the same and I think people should try this game just to see the things it tries to do.

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By rapid

The gameplay is not very fun, I end up just Youtubing the cutscenes the story build up is really good but, some people (like Jeff and Patrick) thought the game's "True" ending underminded the plot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.